Turkey's Turkey's Turkey's

Road Runner

Just about ready to head on my turkey trip for the year. 2 weeks and counting. How have the birds in Northern Idaho been doing. Anybody out looking for birds have they broken up into smaller groups yet, any gobbling. Please share any info you are willing to. I cannot wait.

Thanks for the info. I should throw a rod in my truck. I have never caught a steelhead before. Catching a big steelie is on the bucket-list for me. If I get my tag filled early a little time fishing may be just what the Dr. ordered. That area around Orofino is definitely gods country if you ask me.

Isn't that weird, we have a place called Fine Gold (Orofino) up around me. I think of mountain quail and big bows when I think of Fine Gold and you guys think gobblers and cuts. ;):cheers:

Wonderful hunt this year. Northern Idaho is so beautiful. The birds were thick and some of them came in to my calls for a fabulous hunt. Here are a few pictures from our hunt. My cousin really goes all out on his camo. The birds had nice thick beards and some pretty nasty spurs. I did not manage to get after the steelhead as the turkey took all of our time but I have got to try for them one of these years.

Wonderful hunt this year. Northern Idaho is so beautiful. The birds were thick and some of them came in to my calls for a fabulous hunt. Here are a few pictures from our hunt. My cousin really goes all out on his camo. The birds had nice thick beards and some pretty nasty spurs. I did not manage to get after the steelhead as the turkey took all of our time but I have got to try for them one of these years.

Looks like a great trip!Love your cousins camo job!

Had over 100 hen turkeys walk past my door this spring:eek: Down to 3 pheasants :eek: If you want pheasants don't stock turkeys!

How many pheasants would you typically see in the spring?

Nick

Had over 100 hen turkeys walk past my door this spring:eek: Down to 3 pheasants :eek: If you want pheasants don't stock turkeys!

If you want pheasants don't let your habitat turn into turkey habitat.

If you want pheasants don't let your habitat turn into turkey habitat.
Lets see when elk take over mule deer winter range or wolves displaced "eat" coyotes/moose and take over there habitat its not mans management its habitat. We/man brought in the turkeys 20 years ago and because there is more money to IDFG were over run.

How many pheasants would you typically see in the spring? Not sure about what was the # of pheasants in the spring this was a winter area for pheasants for miles around. The turkeys have pushed out the pheasants from the little remaining nesting cover that's left. Its to late here but if you want pheasants don't let them bring in turkey.

My point is that good pheasant habitat isn't good turkey habitat and good turkey habitat isn't good pheasant habitat. Sure their range will overlap in transition zones but if you have lots of turkies and few pheasants it's because you have good turkey habitat.

I agree that turkies out compete pheasants for prime nesting cover where their ranges overlap though.

Back