turkey time

blackcloud27

spring is finally getting here. anyone getting ready for turkey hunting? i can't wait. missed most of last season. mayo clinic grounded me during the turkey season. they couldn't understand my reasoning that being in the woods would be good for me. it was all i could do to convice them to let me go fishing and then i had to sit in a lawn chair next to shore along the road.

Gobbler Bagging a Rite of Spring

Got my two permits and now just counting down the days until the opening Wednesday. Will be out on my a.m. set up at dark-thirty hoping to coax in a big a** tom. Big fun and good eating.

Hunted last weekend, found the roast but the dang birds with the other direction. Couldn't call them in. Hoping to chance that this weekend.

Oh yeah. Just bought my turkey license for WI and had lunch with my buddy today ( who is planning to hunt with me). Trying to get him his first Turkey. Out 5 day season runs about last week in April which is 3rd week in season. OK not to get earlier because I have been snafued by snowstorms those early weeks of season.

just booked my merriam turkey hunt today made it acouple of weeks later because the weather can be tricky early in the season can't wait till the youth hunt in about 3 weeks will try to get all 3 of my boys a turkey with a little help from my dad it's hard to set up with 4 people in one spot , the owls have started hootn up a storm here lately, keep going on top of the hill to see if can hear any gobbles yet but no such luck yet.

I'm gonna go out for the my first turkey season this year, I've always wanted to give it a go but just never got around to it.

I have been seeing flocks all over Eastern MN. I haven't picked turkey hunting yet, but I need something to ease my pheasant dreams so it may come yet.

Hey blackcloud you got some calls for me to use or you going to make me buy my own:( i'm thinking about bow hunting them because that season last alot longer. I found out your secret. You go to the store for your turkeys:D

Hey cootie. i only have 26 box calls. i might be able to loan you an old mouth call. if you soak it in mouth wash it might clean up ok. do you want to borrow one of my blinds or you going to sit in my tree stand and shot them off the roost.:D if you tag one in the frozen food section it helps to wipe the frost off so the tag sticks better.:p

Them are some great tips blackcloud:thumbsup: I'm such a rambo I might kill one with my bare hands:eek:

hey cootie the only way you could get a turkey with your bare hands is in the sandwich isle. it better not be wrapped with paper or you will cut your hand:p spring getting close saw about 50 robins today by the lake. no coot yet :(

Turkeys

Heading to TN, AL, CA, CO, NH and MA, hope it works out then back down to Mexico. Shot birds in 27 states now.

How far of a shot would you guys consider making with a bow for turkey. Chiefs you should be on a turkey hunting show:) How long has it taking you to sucessfully hunt 27 states?

Turkeys

Capt,

Not trying to be evasive, don't really know when this started, other than I would hunt a state and then another and pretty soon it was like, well maybe I should go here and just kind of got started. I have donated hunts all across the country to NWTF Chapter Fund Raisers and a couple of World Slam hunts to the NWTF National Convention in Nashville, TN, they got all 6 birds in one year. I am supposed to do this World Slam thing with Jim Shockey when he gets done with some of his International Hunting. I have been after him for years. He hunted with me on Kodiak Island for Sitkas and took a #2 Muzzleloader Sitka,... and down in Mexico for Coues and I hunted with him on Vancouver for Black Bear. Anybody want to hunt the 2 down in Mexico let me know, we'll put together a group and go down, the Gould's are allot like the Merriam's, very vocal and not the smartest. On your question I have taken birds to 45 yards, but there are guys out there way better shots than I, the closer the better. I have killed allot out of a pit, I would dig a pit much like they do now for Antelope, way before they had popup blinds, very effective. They expect danger from above, they have no idea where you are.

You do alot of hunting Chiefs. Thanks for the advice:thumbsup: Don't want to offend you, but can I ask what you do for a living. I just think it's cool all the different stuff you hunt.

Hey blackcloud you got some calls for me to use or you going to make me buy my own:( i'm thinking about bow hunting them because that season last alot longer. I found out your secret. You go to the store for your turkeys:D

Hey i heard you want to use my stand there will be a rental fee...

Back