Turkey Hunting

Stevegk

Hey guys it's great that we have our own PA forum. So I'm a thinkin we should begin to use it more. Anyhow, turkey begins next week. Let's keep posted regarding our success ( or failures). If possible include pictures. Personally, I have been very lucky the past 2 years, so this will probably be my year to get skunked. Took a friend's nephew out yesterday. Miserable day, not only for the weather but also did not hear one bird. I hope it will get better. Good luck to all! Steve

I have been seeing a ton of birds on my property so far this spring,but I am not sure how often I'll be able to get out!We have habitat projects set up for a lot of the weekends.Good luck and keep us posted!:thumbsup:

I probably should note, that on Saturday, I hunted on my parents farm. I don't know if it is related, but we had a couple of fishers move in the past 2 years. Is this the reason the numbers are down? I don't know, but tomorrow I will be scouting the game lands near my home to see if gobblers are more vocal. I may be able to find a bird yet. :D Steve

Hey guys. Not hearing any on my farm in Ohio so far. Are season has been in a week.Has been raining cats and dogs 4 inches in 24 hrs one day. Bass fishing in the farm ponds has been good, caught a 6.5lb on a spinner bait.:)

Steve,
Did you get the latest issue of Game News,it has a lot of good turkey hunting stories in it!We saw Fishers for the first time in our area last deer season,was neat to see them.

Bob,
A 61/2 LB. bass is a real trophy.Did you release him or get him mounted?Please don't tell me he ended up in the frying pan!!! LOL;)

Funny you mentioned the game news. Just got it today. I will be looking at it in about 10 min. The fisher story is a funny one. When the fishers were released we were told that they would eat the porcupine. Now we have a porcupine season. Kind of funny. I guess if you offered a fisher a turkey dinner vs a porky, he'll take the turkey. I just got back from my parents. I gobbled down a couple of the hollows and didn't hear a thing. :rolleyes: Steve

OK guys, tomorrow is the big day. Good luck to all of you. Don't forget to post the success or failures. :D Steve

When it comes to turkey hunting, Pa. holds the back seat to no one!Good luck tomorrow Steve and every one else,and be safe.

OK guys, got home shortly after 9:00 am. Short story, decided to move around 7:30 as nothing was happening. 15 min later struck a gobbler. He seemed only lukewarm, not gobbling consistently. Apparently he was gobbling when I was calling, but I didn't hear him. After 15 min, I moved to ask my buddy a question ( did you hear him) and 80 yds away he flushed. Oh well, I always had trouble with the strategy. Hope the rest of you have had better success. Steve

I hope you guys post some success stories, I'm stuck at work through next weekend. Don't forget to post pictures.

Just got in from a 3 1/2 hour ride.Unfortunately we were committed to a habitat project,I am going to have to check the calender better! LOL. Wouldn't you know,we were hearing gobblers all day!

How did you guys make out?We saw a lot of birds while doing habitat work today.

Daughter graduated from college, so I didn't go. I found a bird Thursday night over on the family farm. My nephew was apparently working the bird, but he did not hear the other hunter. The bird went the wrong way and was shot. I hunted for a couple hours thursday morning. We heard 2 birds, but they stopped gobbling once the hit the ground. I'll give them a try this friday. Good luck, Steve

Only sad ones. Went yesterday with my son. Heard one gobbler in the distance. Set up twice, and brought one hen in within spitting distance and the other at 20 yds. At least in our area they are not gobbling well. Steve

Unfortunately, I won't get a chance to go out again until Sat, then Monday. Hope is always eternal in the heart of a turkey hunter. Steve

Ok guys, last day. Let's tally up the results. Gobblers 1, Steve 0. It appeared as though the gobblers were kidnapped by aliens. At least I went down swinging. I hope at least one member of the forum has a story.
Steve

I never got a chance to sit in the woods with a gun.I spent a lot of time driving across the state doing some promised habitat work,a little fishing,and restoring some old Chevys! So many turkeys,so little time!We did see and hear quite a few!

Back