True Pheasant Breeds

Them ringless dark reds were pretty cool looking. As well as the greens and the Melanotic pheasant. Most of the lighter birds all looked alike for the most part.

Sometimes state wildlife officials play the "environmentally correct" and "politically correct" game. By that I mean they often keep somethings secret. For example. now days 2011, both Texas and New Mexico wildlife officials will seldom admit that 40 years ago they released thousands of White-Winged pheasants (Bianchi pheasant) those birds actually helped the wild pheasant population expand. Now days, in this political environment world its not cool to admit that you released a non-native bird. We all know that those releases were a good thing, the Bianchi is a wild subspecie of the ring-necked pheasant and the Strauchi (Sichuan) is also a wild subspecie of the ring-necked pheasant.

The reason I am bringing this up is because I vaguely remember reading an article years ago stating that North Dakota released Strauchi (Sichuan) pheasants in the S. W. part of N. Dakota.

If they did release the Sichuan in that area (which you may be seeing in the S. W. area) that is good for the wild pheasant population. The smaller the wild pheasant the smaller the target is for predators. The smaller pheasants are faster flyer and therefore greater escape from the many aerial predators.

The Strauchi pheasants have been released along with the ringnecks for over 50 years, it did not just start with the Michigan release. Michigan had the largest organized release.
The Stauchi pheasant will simply cross with the regular ringneck and produce and smaller more wary and alert ringneck pheasant. Since they naturally overlap in the natural wild world the most of the wild roosters will have a full ring.
Thank you for your response. These SW ND birds in a snow covered winter, bunch up in huge numbers and some time's travel up to 20 miles getting to commercial cattle feeding lots. If you don't have these "LOTS" is there any other way to keep hi numbers of Pheasants on these hi plains?? ?

Thank you for your response. These SW ND birds in a snow covered winter, bunch up in huge numbers and some time's travel up to 20 miles getting to commercial cattle feeding lots. If you don't have these "LOTS" is there any other way to keep hi numbers of Pheasants on these hi plains?? ?

Wesslpointer that's a very good question. I personally know of large areas without large cattle yards and the birds do very well, but they have crop fields to feed in.

In regards to SW ND, are crop lands lacking? This could explain why the birds are traveling so far for food.

20 miles is the furthest I've ever heard of birds traveling. Please don't take this in the wrong tone,:) but how do you know they travel this far? I'm not doubting you. You may have witnessed this personally as far as I know. I'm just curious :);)

Wesslpointer that's a very good question. I personally know of large areas without large cattle yards and the birds do very well, but they have crop fields to feed in.

In regards to SW ND, are crop lands lacking? This could explain why the birds are traveling so far for food.

20 miles is the furthest I've ever heard of birds traveling. Please don't take this in the wrong tone,:) but how do you know they travel this far? I'm not doubting you. You may have witnessed this personally as far as I know. I'm just curious :);)
A little bird told me:) Talking to ranchers! There's no crops just snow you can see for miles. I have no personal knowledge of how far they really do travel. Its probably a reverse migration the ones that survive winter at the lots fan out in spring then back in winter. Just wandering in a bad snow winter if there a nother way than feed lots or a feeding station???

A little bird told me:) Just wandering in a bad snow winter if there a nother way than feed lots or a feeding station???

Food plots:)

Otherwise in an area like your describing (without crop land) they're surviving off of seed heads (grasses), crab apples, etc. From what I understand this isn't enough to feed high bird #'s through out a tough winter.

Rose hips, Russian olive and autumn olive should pull them through a tough winter. :thumbsup:

I believe it does well in all the "plains" states. It pulls birds through tough winters in eastern Montana and I believe it is prevalent in Idaho, Colorado, Utah and eastern Oregon etc. Some call it an invasive species (like pheasants), but wildlife love it.

I believe it does well in all the "plains" states. It pulls birds through tough winters in eastern Montana and I believe it is prevalent in Idaho, Colorado, Utah and eastern Oregon etc. Some call it an invasive species (like pheasants), but wildlife love it.

Thanks for the info. I had thought those breeds of trees lived in dry conditions only. I'm assuming they keep "fruit" on them through the winter months?

I know what your talking about with the native thing. In regards to pheasants, I just had a dissolution about opening county lands to pheasant hunting. It keeps getting stuck on the "pheasants are a non-native species" thing.

I told them because pheasants are non-native, they should allow pheasant hunting to remove them from county lands:D Still a no go.

I'm going to keep on them. It may be a few years but I think eventually we'll get county lands open to pheasant hunting.:)

God knows the prairie chicken is not coming back to this area any time soon. The pheasant has simply filled the role of the prairie chicken.:)

They do thrive in semi-arid habitats, but they also do well in riparian habitat so I'm not really sure how much moisture they can handle.

Thanks for the info. I had thought those breeds of trees lived in dry conditions only. I'm assuming they keep "fruit" on them through the winter months?

I know what your talking about with the native thing. In regards to pheasants, I just had a dissolution about opening county lands to pheasant hunting. It keeps getting stuck on the "pheasants are a non-native species" thing.

I told them because pheasants are non-native, they should allow pheasant hunting to remove them from county lands:D Still a no go.

I'm going to keep on them. It may be a few years but I think eventually we'll get county lands open to pheasant hunting.:)

God knows the prairie chicken is not coming back to this area any time soon. The pheasant has simply filled the role of the prairie chicken.:)
IN IDAHO PF is at a cross roads it must decide if its Pheasants FIRST or another " conservation group" conserving native fowl and Fonda FIRST and just happy to have "sustainable Pheasant populations". You cant serve two masters "donate-rs":mad:

IN IDAHO PF is at a cross roads it must decide if its Pheasants FIRST or another " conservation group" conserving native fowl and Fonda FIRST and just happy to have "sustainable Pheasant populations". You cant serve two masters "donate-rs":mad:

Just to clarify wesslpointer, I was talking about our tax payer owned/Gov't owned county lands not PF projects.:)

You my know that, I'm just double checking.;)

But, ya......If Pheasants Forever starts focusing on conservation without the pheasant at the center of it's mission, I'm out!!!

I don't see this happening on a grand scale nor have I personally witnessed even a wisp of this within PF (not saying it doesn't exist though). "More pheasants" is the focal point of the org.'s supporters. They're nothing without the pheasant at the center of their org. From whom would they get their support if not from pheasant hunters/hunters?

Pulling away from the pheasant would be a death wish for PF:(

Back