truck vs rv

omerjl

hello, all my name is omer and I live in Washington state. I grew up hunting pheasant in eastern Washington with shorthairs. I have a new gwp and am thinking of hunting ne Montana in mid October. I want to take five guys and am thinking of renting a motorhome. my question to the long time Montana bird hunters is can we hunt the block management areas driving an rv or will we get stranded in the muddy roads. our other option is drive our four wheel rigs and motel it. any hard earned advice would be greatly appreciated

You could get quite a few places in Mt with an RV , but to be able go most anywhere with in reason 4x4 truck or SUV would be best .

In a weeks time in Mt I hunted in a snowstorm and shirt sleeve weather for a tailgate lunch .

My suggestion is take the trucks / SUV . We ran a 4 man crew and 5 dogs out of a 4 door truck with a camper shell with drawer organizers and a dog trailer .

Worked real good for us . Not sure a 5th man would ride in comfort .

I can not imagine hunting out of a RV here in Montana, I am not sure where in Montana you are headed, but you will be traveling over mountain passes for sure, and even in October snow is pretty common that high up, not to mention when you get here, depending on weather, even turning around in block areas could be difficult. Depending on area, might be tough to get a room if your thinking this October. Like the old saying goes, prepare for the worse, pray for the best.

Truck. I was raised in Montana & up until the time that I was able to afford my own 4WD rig, I got stuck a lot during hunting season. Taking an RV is a recipe for disappointment.

I would say- take the rv. Motels are getting spendy. Gas is down, you will have to stay on the main roads, but good hunting can be had off county roads.

rv

thanks to all who gave input, we took the rv, five guys two dogs. we had a great trip, I-90 into Montana then up to great falls, stopped for licenses then started hitting block management units heading up to havre. then east to nelson reservoir and more bma's. my dog was only seven months old, we got up a lot of birds and did very well. the rv worked fine but we got lucky with the weather, two weeks earlier it rained big time, but dried out before we got there. am thinking of flying into Bozeman in dec, renting an suv and heading to malta and staying in motels. Washington is mostly pen raised release birds nowadays, just doesn't compare to wild birds.

Back