Truck caps

Thinking about getting one for my hunting and fishing truck. What are you guys using? Must have features? I know I want the side windows that open, lock and has screen windows.

I just bought an ARE for my new truck. So far I am very impressed with the quality. I did get it with carpet on the inside, single handle back window, and sportsman side windows (they open, have screens, and door locks). I didn't get any lights as the OEM box lights seem to do a great job.

Just my opinion but the windows that fully open on the sides sure make it much easier to retrieve stuff up against the cab. I've had both but like those the best.

I got a LEER 100XR about 3 or 4 years ago and like it. ARE and LEER are pretty equal build quality wise but around here I got a better deal on the LEER. I kept the standard sliding side windows with the screens.

For add ons I went with the carpeted headliner, mostly for condensation as I've slept in the back of my truck before. At the very front of the topper, a sliding window as my Silverado has a sliding window into the cab, it's been handy to throw a few 10+ foot 2xs in without needing a trailer. Also the dome light with a 3 way switch, on, off and then on only when the topper door is open and off when it's closed. It's handy to have the lights kick on when you need them and not have to remember to shut them off after you've closed it up. Also had them wire the topper lock into my truck key fob so when I lock the truck doors the topper locked as well.

I have had both brands and really don’t see a big difference. Make sure you get the remote lock that runs off the truck fob. The one thing I wish I would have gotten is the lear locker.

I won’t go there as I hunt waterfowl as much or more than upland. Need the space in the box of the truck for camping and fishing also. Very nice set up though and have seen others but not for me practically.
I don't blame you. I'd love to have a drawer system like that for hunting, but I use my truck for a lot of different things and need the space for other things around the house.

Now if I could have 2 trucks, one rigged purely for hunting and another for work, you bet I'd have a drawer system.

I don’t know what model my are is but I don’t regret getting it. It has screens in both sides and a slide window in the front so I can open the truck slide and the topper slide so I can have direct contact with the dogs in case I need to yell at them! It also has a light in the back and a couple fold down clothes hangers. It's also raised top so I can stuff more gear on top of the dog box. I can also raise up on a cot without banging my head but still have to crawl out to get my pants on😁

Attachments

• BCD0C634-59DB-4610-8847-93016564AD5D.jpeg
    BCD0C634-59DB-4610-8847-93016564AD5D.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 11
Anyone using A R E Truck vault system?

Pro's, Cons?
I have a buddy with one and it is really nice. I couldn't fit one with my drawer system and dog box.

This is what I put on my GMC crew/shortbed:

ATC LED Topper with a drop down front sliding window, 12" LED strip light, no carpeted headliner, Drivers side sliding Windoor window and Passenger side sliding Windoor window. I'm very happy with it. The Windoors with the sliding middle window are great for grabbing stuff at the front of the bed and keeping the dogs cooler.

My buddy ordered a similar Lear with the overhead gun vault. He says he wished he hadn't ordered it.

Back