Tristar

I am interested to hear as well.. I need a lower end gun that I won't be too upset if it gets dinged a little bit while training, doing hunt tests, or running trials.

I'm just curious about a 5.5. lb. 20. CZ, Tristar, Stevens 555, are aluminum framed. I don't want to give a fortune for a gun that I know is going to kick the crap out of me, but hey I might give it a try for 600. I know the CZ's are pretty good but haven't heard much about the others.

I coach in the HS Clay Target League.

I have met two kids with the Savage 555 where the barrels were not properly regulated. They did not shoot to point of aim. We advised the families to return the guns and purchase better guns.

Regarding Tristars, I have repaired a couple of them that developed trigger issues, mostly failures to fire. Among other QA/QC issues, it appears that some critical internal parts in these guns were not properly heat treated.

I am firmly of the belief that there is no such thing as a quality, inexpensive over/under shotgun.

Last edited:
Havent shot Tristar, but do shoot CZ redhead premier in 20 and one of my close friends shoots the CZ Drake in 20. Both are great guns for good price point (believe the Drake is around $710? Premier is closer to 1,000) Have heard tristar commonly gets trigger and firing pin issues?

Would recommend CZ any day.

Also another brand to look into thats on the cheaper end is Yildiz. Was walking through Academy sports about a year and a half ago and saw a good looking 28ga and price tag was just north of $500, bought it and havent had a single issue with it. It also came with 5 extended tubes

My friend owns a gun store and has sold over 200 Tri Star guns and had 0 brought back in the 2 years he has had them . Just saying , and thats not hearsay.

My friend owns a gun store and has sold over 200 Tri Star guns and had 0 brought back in the 2 years he has had them . Just saying , and thats not hearsay.
I also know a guy who owns a small gun store. He said he's sold a ton of them especially the Raptor auto. I'm not buying one until I get my hands on one and I'm not going to ask him to order one in so I can feel it. I'm looking for a 5.5 lb. 20, they make a Trinity L.t. Chirocat is correct, though I wouldn't be afraid to order the C.Z. sight unseen, but a few hundred more. I have the Bobwhite G2 and my buddy has the Ultralite 12. He says it's the best money he's spent. That's coming form someone who packed a Citori for 30 years.

I have the TT15 in 28 ga, they make a 20 that would be close to your preference. I picked it up for the price and the wood that it has. I normally carry Fox Sterlingworths or Dickinson doubles but it is a nice gun for dove fields or quail if you can find them.

I use a stoeger 3020 for training and trials, also use it hunting sometimes. They cost around 500.00 comes with shims and a few chokes only weighs around 5.5 lbs and you can throw a sling on it. Something like that might be worth considering

Birddude, was scrolling around the internet and looks like they have those Yildiz I mentioned in previous post on sale. For $399, Im half tempted to buy another double barrel just to have due how much I enjoy my 28 from them. Do a little research if you havent made a decision yet!

Birddude, was scrolling around the internet and looks like they have those Yildiz I mentioned in previous post on sale. For $399, Im half tempted to buy another double barrel just to have due how much I enjoy my 28 from them. Do a little research if you havent made a decision yet!

I have a yildez 20gauge good gun for the price. I bought it in 2014 or 15 never had a problem. The safety on my particular one seems really hard to use especially with gloves on. It doesn't see as much action since I bought the stoeger 3020

I dont know. Never thought about flush chokes. Never had that problem with weeds and grass. Always have my barrels up. Just me I guess.

I was in an academy sports a couple days ago and handled the legacy. Thats the aluminum Yildiz, seemed ok but was a little big around at the balance point for a 20. Maybe they need to be to make up for the weaker aluminum?

I was in an academy sports a couple days ago and handled the legacy. Thats the aluminum Yildiz, seemed ok but was a little big around at the balance point for a 20. Maybe they need to be to make up for the weaker aluminum?
Possibly! Have only handled the 28ga I have. Have had one hang up with the safety like Jake300win said but was due to being between selectors (my fault)

Like mentioned previous I would probably go with a CZ just for the piece of mind and knowing they are good quality even if they are a little more expensive.

Not hating on tristar, not a ton of experience with them. hunted with a guy this past week that had a tristar 28 and loves it.

Last edited:
Just came back from Academy and looked at the 20 and 28 legacy o/u. Sorry to say and Im not putting it down but they arent even close to the Tristar TT15. Just felt bulky and cheaper. Ive had a Bobwhite and it was a nice gun but the wood just wasnt appealing to me. I have much more expensive guns, Benellis, Fox's, Dickinsons and a few more but we were comparing the 3 companies. I will take the Tristar. Just MHO.

Havent shot Tristar, but do shoot CZ redhead premier in 20 and one of my close friends shoots the CZ Drake in 20. Both are great guns for good price point (believe the Drake is around $710? Premier is closer to 1,000) Have heard tristar commonly gets trigger and firing pin issues?

Would recommend CZ any day.

Also another brand to look into thats on the cheaper end is Yildiz. Was walking through Academy sports about a year and a half ago and saw a good looking 28ga and price tag was just north of $500, bought it and havent had a single issue with it. It also came with 5 extended tubes
Hi Chirocat46,

I have no experience with CZ. However, CZ has an established reputation for manufacturing excellent quality handguns, rifles, and shotguns. I have yet to come across a person who used a CZ and didn't love it.

I looked at CZ while looking at shotguns for a recent purchase. If there was a 26" 20 gauge version of the Redhead Premier, I would have bought it.

Back