Tristar Viper G2 or Weatherby Element - Back Up & Rainy Day Gun

Looking for some feedback good or bad on either Tristar Viper G2 or Weatherby Element. Both seem to have decent reviews and positive customer support. Appreciate any feedback.

I have no experience with either gun and I'm sure either would serve you well as a backup. But I would probably lean towards the Weatherby only because it is an Inertia gun while the Tristar is gas operated. Hopefully others on this site that have had some personal experience with these two guns will help you out. Personally I've had a Stoeger Auto for many years as a backup and it's been flawless.

Last edited:
I have a g2 as a backup as well. It seems to be a good gun, it has a 26 inch barrel.

Shot trap with it a couple of times and every one that has shot it seems to like it.

I bought it and unboxed it at the range put a little rem oil in the action never cleaned it and started shooting it it never missed a beat.

It is going to Kansas with me this year.
Ymmv

Won a Weatherby Element 12G camo at a banquet a couple years ago. They do have design defect where the internal stock bolt comes loose and the butt stock gets wobbly from recoil. No amount of Loctite or even replacement bolts from the manufacturer have resolved it. Maybe have to take off the recoil pad and use hex wrench 2-3 times in during a 5 day pheasant hunt to keep it from developing a gap. More annoying than anything else but gun does reliably cycle all shells without fail and not a lot of cleaning needed so the action is quality. I did online research again last year for permanent fixes and saw some other people with the same issue so I don't know if Weatherby has resolved it with new gun builds or not. Not sure if I would want to be in a situation where my auto went down and I pick up a gun with annoying defects that I just bought new. But it sure beats have to go to a cheap OU or pump and change my shooting actions.

Have the G2 in 20 gauge 26'' barrel. It is dirty but don't fire a lot of rds. The stock to receiver bolt did come loose on it but fixed with lock tite and Teflon tape. No problem since. Very reliable. No FTF or feed issues of any kind.
I think either will serve you well. Fit is the thing.
It is the best fitting 20 I have

Like I said in my above post. If you are looking for a less expensive back-up gun, don't overlook a Stoeger. Both my son-in-law and I bought a Stoeger Auto at least 15 years ago and neither of us has ever had one issue with our guns.

33KG2tt.jpeg
I bought a G2 bronze in 20 guage in 2019???? I broke the main action spring after 500 rounds but the gun still functioned fine. Tristar had me a replacement in 2 days.

The trigger is horrible. 7.5 lbs. many say to put the mcarbo spring in it for the missives equivalent. I did. It shaved maybe 1/2 lb.

Probably 1000 rounds through it now. It doesn’t like promo light target loads. But quality AAs and such are fine. Pheasant loads are fine.

I’ve shot several limits of pheasants with it and several limits of dove.

I bought mine from Buds as an experiment of sort. For $25 I got the lifetime warranty from buds as an insurance policy.

I like it. I likely will buy a 28 gauge at some point.

"Won a Weatherby Element 12G camo at a banquet a couple years ago. They do have design defect where the internal stock bolt comes loose and the butt stock gets wobbly from recoil."

Is there a Nylock nut that will fit the internal stock bolt? Might be worth a try.

Back