Trip report

Matt D

Got back yesterday from 10 days of hunting. Was supposed to be 14 but the ice and snow forecast chased us home a few days early. Temps we hunted were between 74 and 26 for highs. Lows got down to 14 a few nights.

Trip mileage was just shy of 3600. Fuel prices paid varied from 3.99 down to 3.45.

Plotting the farthest point each direction we killed birds on shows a perimeter distance of 328 miles which equals 3.8 million acres within the perimeter. NC part of the state.

My estimate puts bird numbers up 30-40% from last year. Every place we drove we saw birds along roads, out in fields eating or just flying from one location to another. The locations we actually hunted we have pretty good history on so that makes it possible to compare year to year and the reason for my estimated bird increase.

We didn’t waterfowl hunt but the mallards really seemed to show up the beginning of this week where we were and the geese the end of last week.

Here a couple of pictures from the trip.
DA540B93-4614-4561-A24F-3D51EAF36CC7.jpeg7127B471-CFBB-4DFC-906A-74B0B37BA43D.jpeg09A601A8-DA0B-4847-9853-32707EF88A6F.jpegEA719544-64EC-4310-89A7-956CB71A1AF0.jpeg

Good to see you and Dan again Matt. I'm not usually home when you stop in. The storm didn't amount to much as first predicted.

You two always do very good hunting. Nice dogs you have. They make me want to try a Springer :)

If freedom were a pic, it would be one of your pics. You know, I’m retiring next year, so I will start hunting with my dogs. I’m only 60, so there’s gonna be a lot of time for having fun. I love how the sky differs in your photos. You know, I guess I’ve spent the third of my life in the sky cause I travel a lot for work. Mostly I travel by business class, so I have a lot of time to enjoy it. Sometimes it reminds me of water that can have different states too. Thanks for sharing, Matt. Hope one day we meet to hunt together.

Last edited:
Back