Tri Star Shotgun

I'm looking at buying a Tri Star Hunter Ex O/U shotgun and was wondering if anyone owns one or has used one. The reviews I have seen have been good but want other opinions on them. Any help would be great.

I've never handled one, or even seen one in the flesh. Made in Turkey, they're probably better than some of the Russian made guns which are not very good.

They're cheap, and probably worth what they cost, but you aren't getting a Beretta or even a Remington. That said, you might find one of them reasonably reliable.

I'm sure it will go bang, and will kill birds, but what worries me about these guns is what happens in the future. Suppose that five years from now you want to sell it - who will buy it? Suppose it one day needs a repair and parts. Who will have parts, and who will work on it?

I'm not trying to be pessimistic, but I always think you're better off with guns which are popular, well known and tried, and have a strong aftermarket supply of parts and gunsmiths who will work on them.

It's sort of like: A Yugo is cheap, and may well get you coast-to-coast, but if it breaks down in Shawnee, Oklahoma, what are you going to do?

I'd rather have a twenty year old Chevy (or a thirty year old Browning) than a new Turkish car or gun.

Last edited:
From What the guys a the club clubs tell me they all run into trouble with the firing pins. They claim once they are past 1000 rounds they can break at anytime. Only the gunsmith will have to make replacement pins for you. They are no pins to be had in America. Which all comes down to it could be a costly process. I would disagree with J The Russian made Baikal's I shot were a good gun for a cheap gun.........Bob

My son bought a auto loader of theirs from Gander used. It never worked from day one and Gander had to give him his money back. Their were no parts available in the U.S. for the gun. I would get a Remington/Baikal first. I had a 20, 28 and 16 and they worked just fine.

Last edited:
I agree completely with on point in this time of economic doubt why support the others when we americans make the better guns and if you have a problem with it you can get the parts to fix it their arent many things made in the USA anymore so lets support ourselves when and were we can

Thanks guys I really appreciate all of your help. I would love to get a Browning but the cost is not within my budget, maybe someday. I have a Stoeger O/U its a cheap gun but has been good to me and I was just wanting to upgrade to a better gun. For now I will just keep what I got and save for a higher grade gun in the future. Thanks!

Thanks guys I really appreciate all of your help. I would love to get a Browning but the cost is not within my budget, maybe someday. I have a Stoeger O/U its a cheap gun but has been good to me and I was just wanting to upgrade to a better gun. For now I will just keep what I got and save for a higher grade gun in the future. Thanks!

Sounds like a good plan. Your Stoeger will do anything the Tri Star will do. Shoot the Stoeger, save up a few dollars as you can, eventually sell the Stoeger and by a nice clean used Browning Citori. A thousand dollar Citori is a better value than a $500 Tri Star, and you'll have a gun which will be a joy to own and shoot for a lifetime.

tri-star

I just purchased a tri-star mag hunter(camo). I wanted a 3 1/2" 12 guage o\u for geese and the gun shouldered well. The guns action was tight with auto ejectors and selective barrells. I'm having the stock cut down and a dead mule added to reduce the recoil of the 3 1/2" shells. Carlson extended full and full chokes will provide consistent kill shots at 55 yds. I have not shot the gun and all I can do is hope for the best.

I don't know about the firing pins but I have a gun smith 30 miles away and a cost of a firing pin is min. 1000 rounds is alot of Goose hunting and with a 5 yr warranty the gun is worth the chance. Plus I have my 3" 12 g. o\u I use for ducks as a back up. If I want to shoot pheasant I will pull out the pretty gun which is a 20 ga. Beretta Silver Snipe o/u that is 45 yrs old and has only failed me a couple of times. Guess why? Two broken firing pins. I have a spare firing pin for just in case. So you don't have to be expensive to have firing pins break.

I don't expect to be shooting the tri-star 45 yrs from now as salt water tide hunting is very tough on guns. Only time will tell if I made a good choice.

Good Luck

If you really want the gun of your dreams, save a few more years. Several times I thought of buying a different gun, but kept saving. 5 years later , I bought what I wanted. Good Luck!!!

I have worked and saved my whole life to finally get the gun I bought Friday night. Several things came into play to make it possible.

Never give up on your dream of owning a certain gun, a trip of a life time, a place to hunt of your own, Etc.

I hope your Tri Star O/U works out well. I shoot a 3.5" O/U myself for waterfowl, along with a SP-10 Remington.

Onpoint

Tri Star U/O

I sell guns for a living, which includes Tri Star. There pump seems to be a decent gun for the price . Their auto loader is terrible. I sold a camo U/O to a guy that wanted to use it for turkey hunting. He patterned the gun using a lead sled with bad results. The top barrel shot on the money but the bottom shot 10 inches low at 30 yds. This condition is not uncommon with a cheap poor quality U/O. I had the same condition with a Kahn I bought. I spoke with my gunsmith about the Tri Star line and he echoed some of the comments on this tread, poor quality , all the componates of there guns are outsourced they just fit and assemble and his doubt that they will be able to stay in business long term. He also said he has to send any malfunctioning gun back to Tri Stan as he can't get parts. I now you all have heard the saying that you get what you pay for, this is really true when it comes to U/Os.

Back