Trees and shrubs-Good ones and not so good

Drakekiller

In 2005 we decided to improve our lands habitat for pheasants. Starting with tree plantings. They are really Hedge rows (no Deciduous trees). After a lot of research of where to put them, I studied about what kinds would be best for winter cover and food sources. There were a few that I plainly did not like,Caragana-no food source and looks, and Russian Olive.
Most important trees for winter cover are Conifers. After taking with local NRCS decided on Rockey Mountain Junipers. They do better in our area than Cedars. We planted 6 Hedge rows with half of them being RMJ about 2 thousand. In 2007 added 4 singal rows. Two of Chokecherry, and two Buffalloberrys. All rows were planted with weed fabric. We also added some shrubs in small areas.
Other shrubs we planted were-American Plum,Chokecherry,Golden Currents,Seabuck,Smooth Sumac,Skunkbush Sumac,Buffallobery,American Elderberry,Red Elderberry,Silkydogwood, Greydogwood,Hansen Rose,Praire Red Plum,Freedom Honeysuckle,Amur Honeysuckle,Arnolds Red Honeysuckle,Lilac,Juneberry, and False Indigo.
Most important lesson learned is WEED CONTROL. Our first two year we did not spray for weeds. If you want your trees to live you need to control the weeds even with fabric. Spraying weeds is a big topic and will share what we have learned in a differant thread in future.
Here is what have worked and not for trees-rated 1-5. 5 being best. Location is near SD ND border, North of Pollock SD.
RMJ-5. Have not lost one in two years. Most about 5'
Currents-5. Berries rippen first.5'. When chicks are about Partridge size,really like eating them.
Plums-5. Some are 8' tall.Started producing plums last year.
Honeysuckles-5. All very good. Freedom best.
American Elderberry-5. 7' tall.
Red Elderberry- 2. Lost almost whole row (90) but 8 lived and are excellent.8'
Seabuck-0 all but one died.
lilac-5. used for replants two years ago.Doing great.No food value,just cover.
Silky Dogwood-1. Most died.Would not plant these.
Grey dogwood-2. Lost most. Would not use.
Hansen Rose-3. A little slow.Starting to come on now.
Juneberry-2. Alive but,not growing much.Still hoping they will make it.
Buffalloberry-3. A little slow. Some are real good. Hard to get going.Mule deer ate one whole row.Had to replant.
False Indigo-4. Planted along wet area.6'
Smooth Sumac-3. One planting did very well,another was poor.Soil?
Skunkbush Sumac-5. Native plant.Doing very well.

Last edited:
Great info DK. I just did a replant on some Norway pines that did not make it for the word go and replaced with Lilac and they already are sprouting leaves after being in the ground only 2 weeks.

Will be interested to hear your findings on weed control.

I never have luck with norway pine. Found out that norways life span is 20-25 years and not very hardy. A tree guy told me this said for wildlife blackhill, colorado would be better 40-60 years and alot tougher. Honeysuckle for me is the best wildlife cover easy to grow. Very good post DK.

I'm surprised to see dogwoods so low, but perhaps it's just your soils? In my area, the main roosting areas are typically stands of dogwoods (red / silky / grey) and tall cool seasons (because they've choked out NWSGs) at about a 50/50 ratio or greater with respect to shrub content.

I'm also surprised to see no mention of crabapples ... ? Perhaps I'm wrong, but I've spent the last few years putting in 25 each of 5 different species - they are growing, but aren't big enough to fruit yet. The main bird-oriented one I've planted is Sargent which is supposed to stay low and bushy.

DK, good thread thanks, I'm very interested in this kind of stuff.
I like the cedars for Winter cover in your area.

Seems like the most popular tree/shrub, at least the one I see almost always on state land planting is the Russian Olive. At least 10 years ago or so. Being it's an invasive species it might not be popular these days.

Buffalo Berry would be my top choice. Birds love them, good shelter to.

Did you mention Chokecherry?

I to would add crab apple to the plantings.

Wild Plum is very good.

I would personally not use non-food source shrubs. There are so many good combination food and cover plants.

Norway Pine does well on light well drained acidic soil. More of a Northern tree. Grows very well in N MN not good at all in the S MN.

Last edited:
When designing our tree plantings I had a few things to concider. Winter habitat was #1. We were goinng to be hunting these in the future,so they had to be some what hunter friendly. So I tried to keep the thorns to the minium. They also had to be drought resistant, because our area is a dry area. Like mnthunting, I want ones that were also food sources. Our local NRCS had a booklet called Consevation Trees for ND. This booklet describes the trees. Heights,growth rates,wildlife value,drought resistance,and so on. So I used this with other sources like ND Tree hand book on NDSU ag. site. I concidered heights in reguard to hunting the tree plantings. Here is what I planted in one of our tree plantings. This planting is on the North end of a CRP field that has a pasture to the north. Planting is 220 yards long with 15 rows, running West and East.
Row #1 G. Currents
#2-Amer. Elderberry
#3- Juneberrys
#4,5,6,7, and 8-RMJ's
#9-Silky Dogwood,had to replace with Honeysuckle and Plum.
#10-Greydogwood,replaced with honeysuckle.
#11,12,13-RMJ's
#14-Greydogwood,replaced with Honeysuckle.
#15- Silkydogwood, replaced with Hansen Rose

Good plan for sure.
What is in the surrounding country? As far as habitat.

To our North is large block of rolling pasture land. We have a six acre valley on the NE corner of our land. It has a flowing spring and a large Buffalloberry patch on the east end. It had cattle useing it for ever. We fenced it five years ago. It was pretty barren from the cattle. After we fenced it, we planted a couple hundred trees on the South facing slope. Not to smart. Wanted to see it from our cabin. The next year we had a drought and lost them all, except about 45 False Indigos planted along the bottom. Lesson learned. Plant on north faceing slope. With out the cattle in there now, is some nice habitat. We also dug up some cattails a couple of years ago and transplanted in the bottom. Starting to spread but slowly. To our South is tillable land with mix of CRP. The farm closest to us (1.5 miles) also raise cattle. Most of birds winter there now.

When you mentioned Mule Deer I thought of breaks or coulee type country. The pasture land may have some rougher stuff. Otherwise it would probably be wheat .I know of some good bird country that is within pastureland and Winter cattle feeding gives pheasants continuous quality food supply, usually with good shelter.

Maybe they are note suited for ND or are a new varity. A new one to me this year was Praire Red Plum. Has anyone out there planted any Praire Red Plums?

Back