Travelling with dogs.... (rant)

reddog

Stopped at Big C in Mitchell on Friday to pick up some muzzleloader ammo.

Parked beside two trucks that were obviously going pheasant hunting.(or going home.

Lets say they were from 3 states east of SD.

Both trucks had open air kennels in the back with a dog in each, no bedding that I could see looking in. Looked like yellow labs.

20 degrees at 70 mph = -6 wind chill these dogs had to endure for however long they were in the truck.

Assuming they hunted 5 days, the predicted temps for Tuesday is 2 degrees (high) in Chamberalain. This is -32 ride home at the high.
Low is -11 is a -54 ride home.

I guess my point is: If you can afford to go to Dakota hunting, you can afford a insulated kennel cover to keep the cold and wind off your hunting partner..

(rant over)

Couldn't agree more! Just a little common sense goes a long way to keeping your dog healthy. Did you put a note on the truck windshield? Sometimes when I put my dogs away they are wet from snow or swimming a creek. Add that to a cold ride and it gets worse for the dogs!

That's why I have 4x4 SUVs. I can get anywhere a pickup can and my dog is warm in cold weather and cool in hot weather. To some, a dog is nothing more than a hunting tool like a shotgun, but at least the shotgun gets to stay in the house.

Last edited:
That's why I have 4x4 SUVs. I can get anywhere a pickup can and my dog is warm in cold weather and cool in hot weather. To some, a dog is nothing more than a hunting tool like a shotgun, but at least the shotgun gets to stay in the house. Also, there is a mistaken belief that treating dogs roughly maintains or enhances their hunting skills and drive - pure bunk.

I have always liked that idea... Until one gets skunked:eek:... Then I am quite happy to have a truck:)

I have actually noticed my dog getting what seems to be a slight cold (she would seem more tired than usual, and have eye boogers, and snotty nose and actually cough occasionally) several times this winter. Everytime I could trace it back to her and I going somewhere whether it be hunting, hiking, scouting, or just to the farm.

I believe she was getting these minor colds from having her head out the window. I could be wrong, but I don't know. Cant imagine what could happen if the dog was completely outside for hours...

lets a dog hang its head out the window is a sure recipe for eye problems

Really? I never heard that before...thanks for the info.

I am working with my first dog so this is still new to me, but I know plenty of ppl who let their dogs hang out windows and to my knowledge never had eye issues.

Thanks for saving me the hassle and or possible vet bills!

Stopped at Big C in Mitchell on Friday to pick up some muzzleloader ammo.

Parked beside two trucks that were obviously going pheasant hunting.(or going home.

Lets say they were from 3 states east of SD.

Both trucks had open air kennels in the back with a dog in each, no bedding that I could see looking in. Looked like yellow labs.

20 degrees at 70 mph = -6 wind chill these dogs had to endure for however long they were in the truck.

Assuming they hunted 5 days, the predicted temps for Tuesday is 2 degrees (high) in Chamberalain. This is -32 ride home at the high.
Low is -11 is a -54 ride home.

I guess my point is: If you can afford to go to Dakota hunting, you can afford a insulated kennel cover to keep the cold and wind off your hunting partner..

(rant over)

You admittedly have drawn some conclusions in your post. It is possible that your assumptions are all wrong, but this whole thread is based on you being correct.
Maybe they took the covers off while stopped to give the dogs some air? So they didnt get stolen? We've all read the stories of dogs over heating and dying in their kennels..

Not saying youre all wrong or 100% right regards,
Happy New Year!

I have always liked that idea... Until one gets skunked:eek:... Then I am quite happy to have a truck:)

Yep, had that happen once. Pretty bad even with the windows down. :eek:

Back