Training 2 Year Old GSP

NewmanCA

I purchased a two year old German Shorthair Pointer from a nice young couple. They treated the dog well but the problem is it appears they left the dog in the backyard but was never trained to do anything. They pampered him more than anything. He can't do anything. He just runs wild and does not come when he is called. They supposedly brought him to an obedience trainer for a time but I see no evidence he knows anything.

I am starting at square one with him by teaching him to sit. It has been much more of challenge than training my English Springer Spaniel. The dog sits when he has a treat held over his head and I can usually get him to do that a few times. Getting him to sit without a treat on command is a challenge. Somedays I can get him to sit a couple of times other times he just seems to ignore me when I tell him to sit. I've been at this for about three weeks now. Not sure how I should go about this. I am not an expert. My other dogs were easier.

He likely has engrained a lot of bad habits. On top of that any work a trainer may have accomplished likely wasn't continued by the previous owners. If your goal is to hunt him, the "come" command and "whoa" or what ever command you will use to stop him will need to be taught and reinforced. Sit is fine, but come, heel and a stop command are a higher priority. Different methods to accomplish this but teach then reinforce then praise when he gets it right. Following that repetition... repetition... repetition and of course consistency in your method. Keep your sessions short and end each on a positive note.

E-collars can be a wonderful tool to reinforce a KNOWN command especially when off leash. Used incorrectly it will only confuse the dog and create setbacks. Seek out a trainer if you don't feel confident in your abilities, especially with a dog that has learned bad habits.

Last edited:
He likely has engrained a lot of bad habits. On top of that any work a trainer may have accomplished likely wasn't continued by the previous owners. If your goal is to hunt him, the "come" command and "whoa" or what ever command you will use to stop him will need to be taught and reinforced. Sit is fine, but come, heel and a stop command are a higher priority. Different methods to accomplish this but teach then reinforce then praise when he gets it right. Following that repetition... repetition... repetition and of course consistency in your method. Keep your sessions short and end each on a positive note.

E-collars can be a wonderful tool to reinforce a KNOWN command especially when off leash. Used incorrectly it will only confuse the dog and create setbacks. Seek out a trainer if you don't feel confident in your abilities, especially with a dog that has learned bad habits.

Thanks birdshooter. I do plan on hunting him. At least he does not appear to be gun shy. Just wondering how to get him to sit when he ignores my command. I did have success wit my springer but this dog is more difficult. I totally agree and understand about the e-collar. I have a brand new one sitting on my shelf. I am not even thinking of strapping it on him yet. He isn't anywhere close to using that.

Ignoring a command that he already knows means you need to enforce it plain and simple. There should be no such thing as a refusal on his part. He's been used to getting treats for things he does now you need to replace that with praise when he does it right. Are you training with a lead? A good slip lead that releases and tightens when you snap it works as well as anything. Keeping it high on his head around the base of the ears. Walking the dog at heel, start by stopping and command sit all while snapping the lead upward. If need be you can push down on his rear end at the same time to show him what you want. Sounds like he knows the command, now you just have to enforce it, not rocket science. Remember..... PRAISE and lots of it when he does it right. He's used to getting a reward in the form of treats, now his reward MUST be praise and lots of it.

It may take some time so be patient and keep your training sessions short ending on a positive.

Last edited:
Ignoring a command that he already knows means you need to enforce it plain and simple. There should be no such thing as a refusal on his part. He's been used to getting treats for things he does now you need to replace that with praise when he does it right. Are you training with a lead? A good slip lead that releases and tightens when you snap it works as well as anything. Keeping it high on his head around the base of the ears. Walking the dog at heel, start by stopping and command sit all while snapping the lead upward. If need be you can push down on his rear end at the same time to show him what you want. Sounds like he knows the command, now you just have to enforce it, not rocket science. Remember..... PRAISE and lots of it when he does it right. He's used to getting a reward in the form of treats, now his reward MUST be praise and lots of it.

It may take some time so be patient and keep your training sessions short ending on a positive.

Thanks Birdshooter. I have been forcing his bottom to sit when he does not respond to my command. I wasn't sure how effective that would be. I will quit with the treats. I have a lead but haven't yet used it.

Back