Tomorrow?

Bones302

Anyone headed out tomorrow with the rain and opening deer season? Im taking a pass. Or anyone headed to Kansas opener?

Couple of day trips to NE Kansas, this weekend, kids are in the school musical, so have to be home for that! Have a farmer friend been cutting crops for two weeks, till the rain. Yesterday, cut 50@ of milo, saw one rooster in the whole field! no quail, no hens. About the only crop left standing in the area. Got 1400 acres to hunt but am anticipating from the reports, may be tough, wet, muddy, birdless.

I got cured a couple of years ago, in nebraska, wasn't even rifle season, got up a big probably 30 bird covey of quail, second weekend of the season, first thing in the morning, we shoot, and some voice in the tree line yells, don't shoot over here! Quail landed all around this bozo sitting in all camo, face grease and all, in a tree! had to get within 30 feet just to see him. We moved two more covies on the way out, within 100 yards of this guy. Never fired a shot, Who knows how many more tree sitters were lurking around there! Don't want to get shot, and sure don't want to shoot anybody either! There ought to be rules about this stuff, some buffoon sitting in a tree 10 foot off the ground in an area known for lots of upland hunters, should at least have to use some orange, and they are out there from September on thru January. Personally, I wish they would just open the season on deer to year round, and hunt the damn nuisances to the brink, in Missouri, I bet we shoot 200,000 deer Saturday and Sunday, we might get to 200,000 quail in the season if we are lucky. Iowa too, they killed more deer last year than pheasants! Pretty sorry, by and large deer hunters are usually one week a year, casual hunters, it's a social thing, as much about drinking old stump blower around the campfire, and getting out from under the old Ladies Thumb, as the hunting. No real craft. Every fool with rifle qualifies.

What's really scary is their true! maybe all us Quantrill Missourians should make a trip to Kansas later in the year after the monsoon subsides and the weak hearted retire for the Holidays, and shoot some of those long tailed foreign devils. Send a picture to the MDC.

Actually planning on heading out to KS in Dec. - targeting quail. They are almost getting as rare as a pheasant here in MO :eek:

Will be going to reform ca nuke plant they can only bow hunt there corse I will probably see more deer than quail. Then mon on to kansas

I went to Nodaway Valley and was hopeful after seeing a few roosting spots but never saw a feather fly. There isnt a lot of open hunting zones.

I think those areas expand the hunting zones after the duck season closes. Haven't tried one in years, but Bob Brown used to have birds, all in the refuge area, can't get to them till after the duck season, then they tend to be in the wet areas, on grass mats, that are dry, in like a foot deep water marsh. A guy might think they didn't want to come out and play!

Back