To neuter or not???

VizslaHunter

i have an intact male vizsla that is 1.5 yrs old. He hunts well but feels he needs to pee about 20 times before he will follow commands in a new area. I've been considering having him fixed after this season as I likely won't breed him, but concerned he will lose his hunting drive. Does anyone have experience with this?
Thanks in advance!

Is this both hunting and non hunting areas? And is he actually peeing or just marking?

If it is just marking, I would expect that he follows commands, then enforce them before considering neutering. If it only happens in hunting areas, spend the first 20 minutes in a place you don't think you'll find birds.

It is anywhere we go, especially if there is another dog around. When hunting he will tend to focus on the other dogs at first until he gets a good smell of bird scent when we first enter the field. I try to let him run around and get it out of his system before we actually start the hunt. at home or in the back yard he follows commands quite well. When we go to a park or to hunt, he has to run it out and mark for about 10-20 minutes before following commands very well. the problem can be even worse with another dog around. So I guess this becomes a 2 part question now. Any tips on getting the dog to tune into my voice from the start even with distractions around? keep in mind he does very well in familiar territory. Also at times he will chew on siding or dig up the garden, if something takes my attention away from him such as gardening, he will dig it up or destroy it when I leave the area. Also, I'm not asking about neutering to "calm" him down. I don't want that, I love his energy and want him to hunt all day. I'm wondering if it will help him to be focused on me rather than everything and other dog around him. I'm concerned neutering will take away his drive for hunting.

It sounds like a training issue, not an intact male issue. Start training for obedience in the field, at the dog park, and around other dogs. Say the command once and then go enforce it. If that means using a checkcord or e-collar at all times, so be it. But obedience and obedience standards must be the same everywhere.

As far as the digging and chewing... Treat that just like trash breaking.

Finally, your dog is still a puppy, so don't fret too much when he acts accordingly. If you work on the obedience he'll come around. Just don't get too harsh.

"I likely won't breed him" IMO It's a no brainer get him fixed better health easier to be around.
Duke

I appreciate the feedback. I know patience is a huge part of it and that these dogs can be pups for many years and completely understand he is no exception. Sometimes you just need someone to remind you of that. And I do know that 90% of the time any issues are the fault of the owner.
As far as neutering for health reasons, I don't completely buy into that... For every five studies that say it's better, there are another 5 that say the opposite from just as credible of sources.

So I guess this becomes a 2 part question now. Any tips on getting the dog to tune into my voice from the start even with distractions around? keep in mind he does very well in familiar territory. Also at times he will chew on siding or dig up the garden, if something takes my attention away from him such as gardening, he will dig it up or destroy it when I leave the area. Also, I'm not asking about neutering to "calm" him down. I don't want that, I love his energy and want him to hunt all day. I'm wondering if it will help him to be focused on me rather than everything and other dog around him. I'm concerned neutering will take away his drive for hunting.

Question. E-collar? Beeper?

He's young and full of pizz and vinegar. I know... because I have one about that age right now who's energy level can be off the charts at time. Some pups just have a higher revving motor than others. Boredom is torture for those high energy guys !! You just have to continue training and correct them for unwanted behavior. NO shortcuts. Increase exercise if possible. Those issues will usually pass as they mature.

I've neutered two males, One at 5 years and the other at 8 and neither dog had any ill affects or lowered drive when it comes to hunting. Neither did it hinder their urge to mark. Both dogs had issues with Prostate infections before neutering hence the reason i did so. My current pup will neutered when he reaches 2 years old with no worries about his hunting ability whatsoever.

Not all intact males will develop health issues as they age, but why take a chance if your not going to breed him. There a number of issues that can crop up with intact males as they age, Perineal hernia, prostate enlargement/infection/cancer etc.. Neutering just removes the risk of these conditions.

The one thing I would recommend if you decide you are going to neuter and that is to wait till they are at least two. Usually they have fully developed and some information suggesting the growth plates are not closed until 18 months of age thus larger breeds neutered very young have a higher incident of joint issues later in life.

Last edited:
Sounds like you need to work on obedience, he's flipping you the bird when he disobeys to pee.
Neutering will not effect his hunting drive in my experiance. The only change I've noticed is they need less food.
Also everything I've seen recently finds no health benifit in neutering, actually somewhat the opposit. Spaying still seems benifical

Steve

I've never seen any definitive evidence for either side regarding neutering, and there's still some debate on when to spay. But I wouldn't neuter a male and have never had those "male issues" some people talk about. But you've done research it sounds like, so you can form your opinions.

Just keep working with him, being fair and consistent, and it will work out.

Back