To Dock or Not?

TheMorningRise

As our Pheasant dog search continues, we are still between a Lab or a GSP. That being said, should we end up with a GSP, I am not sure that I want to dock the tail. I understand it may go against the grain when it comes to the breed and against tradition for an upland dog. I simply do not like the look and I think I would rather keep the tail full.

What are your thoughts?

Tails are docked at 3-5 days old and I think you will be hard pressed to find a reputable breeder that would agree to not dock a tail. Tail docking is important to the working GSP in order to prevent tail injuries. It is more than cosmetic. Tail injuries are very common in pointers and setters. For the sake of the dog, it isn't even a question.

Exactly what Jermey has said , the English pointers I have hunted with wind spraying blood all over the place once they have been in the field for a couple hours slapping there tail up against brush .

I would encourage you to dock the tail of a Gsp If you get one .

Not to be a PITA, as I am curious.

I understand the reason for docking, as you all have described. My point to contradict the infection is, Labs aren't docked and do we hear about these issues? I am not saying it doesn't happen, just curious. The Lab will bust cover and go just about any where, with a full tail. That said, it seems the docking on a GSP is more about breed standards.

Thoughts?

Apples and suburus comparison. The hair on a Labrador is protection enough. A shorthair obviously has less hair, and considered ably less hair on the tail.

Then u dont want a gsp

I say if you want a dog with a tail, there are plenty of breeds out there. Ive seen gsps with long tails, but they dont look much different from an english pointer. I believe one dog was a half-breed crossed with an english pointer and the other was a mistake breeding so the owner didnt want to put any more money in them. I think years ago in the old country gsp dogs would injure the tail and they would then hang it between their back legs. Then it would get the damage to it. Tails are docked for a reason, not just cosmetics. I mean, the Germans gave us mercedes, audi, volkswagon, and the gsp!! All great products!

My old lab would injure his tail when we grouse and woodcock hunted. I think it was from smacking against the small aspens where we hunted. He never quit but at night and for days afterward he would have "limp tail" and trouble sitting because of it.

I have a buddy who runs setters and pointer and he hunts grouse and woodcock exclusively. His dogs do experience tail wounds and like mentioned before it comes from the hitting of saplings, hawthornes and other woody debris. Typically only the last couple of inches are injured. He pretty much hunts every day of michigans woodcock season. My young lab hasn't had an issue but I don't hunt her as hard for our woodland birds. I dont really recall seeing any long tails with tail issues that hunt pheasant or quail.

I have both long and short tails, never owning a dog with a tail, long, it took some time to get used too, especially in the house. I would think a gsp with a long tail would be pointer'ish and like a whip. Since tails are docked shortly after birth you would gambling with your pup as you would not be able to pick your pup out of the litter, your pup will be picked at a few days old.

Just my 2 cents, stick with breeding standards. Good luck and enjoy you pup whatever you decide.

My old lab would injure his tail when we grouse and woodcock hunted. I think it was from smacking against the small aspens where we hunted. He never quit but at night and for days afterward he would have "limp tail" and trouble sitting because of it.

There's nothing worse than a "limp" tail ;) LoL

Back