tire dismounting/mounting

Shadow

Banned
every time they grade out here we seem to get nails and such- repaired a few tires myself- thinking about a machine-

Northern Tool has a hand operated one- wondering if anybody has one and if they do a decent job- meaning- will they hold up if one uses it easily-

every time they grade out here we seem to get nails and such- repaired a few tires myself- thinking about a machine-

Northern Tool has a hand operated one- wondering if anybody has one and if they do a decent job- meaning- will they hold up if one uses it easily-

Where I lived in TX the graders would wreck the road and your tires would pick up flint "knives" causes the same problem. Bridgestone Dueler MTs resolved my problems. I used to lose a few tires a year on my truck until I got the MTs. They aren't too loud and lasted over 65k on a F250 crew cab routinely used for hauling crap in the bed.

I would be a little leary about stuff from northern. I worked there. Most of the stuff is Chinese junk.

I would be a little leary about stuff from northern. I worked there. Most of the stuff is Chinese junk.

what I figured- for years I've been using these- it's getting to be work- thought about checking

had an old Coats 10-10- sort of wishing I hadn't given it away with the house sale- but that was back aways
007-2.jpg

Mike- here the graders pull the sand from the shoulders onto the road- looks nice- usually do a bit of walking- you should see some of these nails and bolts- not to mention the little stuff

South of Quinter, KS this year we were on the side of the road having just walked a field. The road grader came by and the operator stopped to shoot the breeze. The grader had an 8' magnet hanging a couple of inches off the ground in back. I asked him about it. He showed me a 5 gallon bucket full of bolts, nails, screws, nuts, hinges, and just about everything you could think of. All of it was picked up just that day alone.

South of Quinter, KS this year we were on the side of the road having just walked a field. The road grader came by and the operator stopped to shoot the breeze. The grader had an 8' magnet hanging a couple of inches off the ground in back. I asked him about it. He showed me a 5 gallon bucket full of bolts, nails, screws, nuts, hinges, and just about everything you could think of. All of it was picked up just that day alone.

It's amazing anybody makes it down the road! A real testament to the modern tire.

The manual changer from Northern works fine.I would not want to make a living with it,but for occassional use it's a good investment.I use plugs whenever possible.I can repair a puncture on the roadside with my $5 kit,and then re-air it or use fix a flat if I don't have my little compressor with me.I can do this in the time it takes to get your jack out.They say to not trust a plug but I've used hundreds of them on all kinds of vehicles and never bother to do a "permanent" repair.The disclaimer is just a CYA,they are safe and durable for the life of the tire.my advice for plugging is just to be sure you don't damage a cord with the reamer tool by feeling around with the tool and taking path of least resistance.

If i have to remove a tire in the field,I take valve stem out,run over tire with vehicle at the bead location,then use spoons.Seldom neccessary and you still have the issue of re-seating the bead,this takes a lot of air volume.If you absolutely have-to,you can fill the tire with acetylene(no oxygen!)setup a shield for your body and light it off.That will bead it,scary though.

There are youtube video's remaniscent of the movie Jackass, airing up tires with "flash" technology. Guard your nose hairs!

ranchodeluxe- sort of the way I was looking at the Northern thing-
thanks
agree with all your post- plugs are even better with steel belts- plug and patch is sort of icing on the cake-

both my Escapes with steel belted tires and stiff beads on these aluminum wheels dictates a bit of caution- that and this old age thing-

captaincoot- yes- a slide hammer would be nice-

jeffstally- I sort of cringe when the graders come by- 3 miles to the blacktop-
wife seems to think I should do more walking- she's quick to tell me to check her tires- the other day at 6:00am she wakes me up- "flat tire, you didn't check, I'm taking yours"- gets light out I go look thinking da-- these tire pressure sensors- bolt sticking in the tire as thick as my finger- I fix it-
she wants new tires

Last edited:
got my machine- anchored to the cement floor- works quite well-

postal delivery gal stopped in- mentioned she'd like to stop in if she has a low tire-

Sounds like a good set up:thumbsup: 20 plus dollars around here to fix a tire won't take long to pay for itself. Let the nieghbors know might make a little extra $:thumbsup: The tax free kind:D:)

Sounds like a good set up:thumbsup: 20 plus dollars around here to fix a tire won't take long to pay for itself. Let the nieghbors know might make a little extra $:thumbsup: The tax free kind:D:)

ordered 4 245/70R16 Firestorm Winterforce tires from Tire Rack- dismounted the old, mounted the new, took to Walmart for ballancing- already just about paid for the $79.00 machine

tirerepair001.jpg

Back