Tips for novice pheasant hunter on season

One thing that has really helped me put more birds in the bag is try to always hold the gun with 2 hands. Don't lolligag around with your gun on your shoulder. That split second amount of time you need to grab the gun with your second hand before you shoulder it gives the bird time to gain distance and create a longer shot. When I started carrying my gun with two hands more, I shot more birds.

Your are on the right track by keeping quiet. The further into the season we get, the quieter you need to be. I'm talking like ninja style quiet. No noise whatseover.

Last edited:
No it isn't late. If you are by your self, you have a decent chance at permission. Some farmers flat out won't let anyone hunt, so don't get discouraged if you get turned down occasionally.
I think your odds go up if you are solo too. Showing up with a group of 5 hunters or asking for permission for a larger group reduces your odds.

I think your odds go up if you are solo too. Showing up with a group of 5 hunters or asking for permission for a larger group reduces your odds.
It's really difficult to get permission for more than 2 people.Sometimes, even 2 guys is 1 too many.The best p r ivate hunting I get, is solo hunting. Public ground can be better with 3 guys.

It's really difficult to get permission for more than 2 people.Sometimes, even 2 guys is 1 too many.The best p r ivate hunting I get, is solo hunting. Public ground can be better with 3 guys.
Case in point: I got permission on a great place on ft. Peck while I was by myself. I went back later in the fall with my cousin, and he wouldn't let us on.

You didn't mention if you figured out HOW you were missing. Best blanket suggestion I can make is to practice (at home,( gun unloaded) holding your shot gun at waist level, then bring it up, fit it to your shoulder, and swing as if following a bird. Take your time, get the moves you want settled in your mind and muscles, then go on to doing it a bit faster, and then faster.

For me, the biggest part of hitting birds is to get my mind out of the way so I can rely on my muscle memory.

Best wishes.

And roosters & hens may make those moves at different times. And may choose different places to hang out, particularly during winter.
Them cocks will push the hens all out of the good cover in winter sometimes and make them die cause they have no place good to go.

Them cocks will push the hens all out of the good cover in winter sometimes and make them die cause they have no place good to go.

True, but that's only going to be the case if there is limited thermal cover. It takes too many pheasants competing for too few resources for that to happen. Heavy winters and lots of cattails removed are the usual suspects.

True, but that's only going to be the case if there is limited thermal cover. It takes too many pheasants competing for too few resources for that to happen. Heavy winters and lots of cattails removed are the usual suspects.
if you say so einstein i don't care how much cattails there is sometimes roosters push hens out and they die,

Case in point: I got permission on a great place on ft. Peck while I was by myself. I went back later in the fall with my cousin, and he wouldn't let us on.
Sometimes my cousin talks way to much.These farmers don't want to stand around bull shifting. I keep telling my cousin that.

Back