Tipping a trainer

Golddog

How much do you guys that have had your dogs professionally trained tip? I'm picking up my Pup tomorrow and would like to show some gratitude to the young man that worked with him. He was not trained by the owner of the kennel.

I guess it would depend partly on how good a job it turns out that he did. I suggest get your dog home, take a few days to work with him and gauge the result. Then if your expectations are met/exceeded, show your gratitude with a check in the mail.
I don't tip anymore "just because". Theoretically at least, the guy is getting paid already to do his job.

I had a mature pointing dog who was gun shy. The trainer had her for 7 weeks …. His daughter 7, and wife helped do some remote releases and distance blank shooting. I gave the family gift cards , separate for daughter for Christmas!
We are 95% fixed!

Attachments

• IMG_4267.jpeg
    IMG_4267.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 9
I often tip "workers" that I have contact with often over the course of the year. If they have been helpful or most often have a positive attitude - why not show a small bit of appreciation. Typically, the tip is a gift card during the holidays. I would suggest a gift card too... That or in this case a $20 bill can be quite nice too.

Yes - workers are paid to do their job and Yes - they can always move to a better or higher paying job. Too often ... with many entry level service jobs ... the annual pay raise is the same to all. The best employees and those that just manage to show up are compensated the same. Especially at the part time level.

So much depends on your level of satisfaction and what they charge monthly. If they exceeded your expectations and your dog was well cared for I think a 10%-15% gratuity to the trainer (not the kennel owner) is appropriate. Unless you own the business trainers don't make to much.

I would suspect most hired hand trainers are also treated as a contract employee with no benefits ... they get a 1099 vs. a W2 at year end working with those running a fully legal business ... cash under the table for those operating with less financially astute systems and accurate records.

Most customers don’t tip so don’t feel like it’s expected. They understand that training is expensive and is a big purchase for most.

There’s a lot of factors such as total cost of training, your income, # of weeks, whether or not the trainer was happy to send photos and updates if requested, and most importantly the temperament of the dog you brought in vs. what the trainer accomplished. A tough dog will have a good trainer pulling their hair out and doing everything they can accomplish and that deserves the same tip as them turning a cookie-cutter dog into a great hunter.

For the average dog with $1000+ in training and one months work: $50 is appreciated, $100 is average, $200 is exceptional, and $300-500 they will never forget that.

Back