Tip ups vs. Launchers

MXDAD777

I have an 8 month old pointing lab and a coop full of pigeons and a few quail. I have had my pup around pigeons and quail since she was 10 weeks old. I started with clip wings and progressed up to dizzy birds and tip up cages. She has a great nose and holds a point well. I want to start working with her on steady to flush. Up to this point I have just let her chase the birds. I have not shot any birds for her but have used a starters pistol when the bird is flushed and then thrown a clipped wing for her to retrieve. My question is...I have a few tip up cages but don't really know how I will use those effectively and at the same time be in position to steady her to flush. She stays locked up on the bird and lets me walk around kicking at the grass etc, but as soon as I tip the cage and flush the bird, she is hot on its tail until she hears the shot and sees the clip wing falling. Is there any way I can use the tip ups to accomplish the steady to flush, or do I need to get some remote launchers? And no I don't have a helper that could tip the cage for me. My son can help sometimes, but he isn't always around. Thoughts & ideas???

This is a great reason to use launchers to steady a dog up. Especially if you are working by yourself. Carded pigeons and such are ok, but can be unreliable on the flush. You can make a remote launcher, can change the springs out so the bird looks a bit more natural and isn't as loud.

I want as much control over the situation as possible so the only mistakes that are made on mine.

Just my .02, there is more then one way to skin cat so to speak.

Although I utilize several different methods to train a pup to hold to flush. The 1st method I try utilizes the remote launcher, if the pup tries to just run in or creep in on the bird, I launch the bird not allowing him him/her to catch it at the same time make the pup think he/she caused the bird to fly. Using my check cord attached around his/her flank I can stop the pup from chasing.

I understand remote launchers are expensive and most people don't want to make that investment to train 1 dog. So if you are working with the tip ups read on....

#2: I am a big fan of the WHOA BOARD and WHOA POST combination. As a full time solo trainer I have had to come up with ways to work the dogs with out the advantage of having a second person around to help.
In order to accompolish the hold to flush using this method the pup must be
pre-conditioned to stop and whoa on the board.
Here is the set-up: I have a "T" post planted in the ground as my *WHOA POST with my WHOA BOARD set up some what close to the whoa post where I think the pup will pull up on point. Obviously I have my bird in the tip up already planted.
The pup will be attached to a 50' check cord, once the pup pulls point, you will place the whoa board right next to where the pup is on point, pick the pup up place him/her on the board. (the pup may lose interest in his/her point the first few times you do this, but after a few times of launching the bird they will get the hang of it and keep their intensity). Wrap your check cord around the whoa post, you now have complete control of the situation. With the check cord wrapped around the post you can now walk out ahead of the pup. If the pup tries to break, just stop him/her with the check cord, simply walk back in pick him/her up place the pup back on the whoa board. Once he/she is understanding not to come off the board you can then walk out and release the bird out of the cage. At this point the pup will probably come off the board in an attempt to chase the bird, again just walk back in place the dog back on the whoa board and simply hold him/her there as you both watch the bird fly away.
I use this technique through out the complete training process from starting the dog on the basic whoa command to hold to flush to hold to wing shot and fall. If used correctly you can accompolish a completely finished dog utilzing this method.

*If you don't have the option of planting a "T" post for your WHOA POST their is a small portable whoa post on the market that works very well and you can use it anywhere. I purchased mine from www.lcsupply.com

I know this is the readers digest condensed version, but I hope I have explained it enough so that you get the idea.

Remember, stay calm, yet assertive and always end the training on a positive note.

Good luck with your pup and the training.

Last edited:
Like Gundogsorus said, The portable Whoa-Post is a great tool in the field and gives the handler total control. Rienforce the Whoa Command several times before releasing the bird and it will work. Good Luck

Back