Ticks

Norcal-Noodler

Are the ticks out and about in South Dakota ?

I forgot my Advantixs at home and wondering if i should pick some up. I'm running a GSP who never gets to ticky since his coat is so short but i don't need to take the chances with Lymes.

Norcal,

I know the ticks where bad this summer. My dogs were still picking up ticks out there over Labor day. At home here in WI I am still picking ticks off as of today and it's mid-Oct. I am sure with the warm weather they are still around in SD. Might want to grab some sort of preventative to be safe.

Possible lymes is nothing to play with. One of my females has been dealing with the side effects still today from picking up Lymes late last fall. Her hunting time in SD this year will be limited because of this.

I actually have a vet apt late today to get her looked at once again. The vet bills seem endless with the reoccurring flare ups she has had since picking it up. Once again preventative is the first priority.....

Last edited:
What he ^ said.

Even with the preventative medicines, I know of two cases where the dogs were infected and suffered long term consequences.

I wouldn't risk it.

Best wishes.

There may be a few ticks around but I doubt very many. And with the colder weather coming in it should be a big problem. Don't worry about Lyme Disease here in South Dakota. Lyme is spread by the deer tick and to my knowledge there really aren't any in SD or there are very, very few. But, for the cost of some Frontline or other preventative I'd still put some on. I'll give my dog one more treatment for the year and she should be good.

George,

Thanks for the info on the deer tick. I wasn't aware that SD had zero deer ticks. Dealing with a lymes infection from a tick is a scary situation and it seems to be worsening back home in WI.

There have been some pretty bad cases back here in WI with dogs being infected. We have had a few past puppy customers that lost their dogs this summer within days of the finding out the dogs had lymes. The cases involved complete kidney failure due to the infection. The infection acted fast and the dogs were lost within 48 hours. Its terrible that anyone has to deal with something like this.

Preventative is key I guess no matter where you travel to hunt. Rather be safe than sorry.

Chad, I'm not necessarily saying zero deer ticks in SD. But I've never heard of any and if you google deer ticks and look at the maps that show their range SD is not in it. The same with Lyme Disease. Very low percentage in SD. I use Frontline on my dog from April through October to keep her free of the regular ticks and flees.

George,

I guess be thankful you don't have it like we do in WI. My female has nothing but re-occurring issues since getting the infection. We just can't seem to kick it with vet help. Hopefully long term she will get better.

She is one of my top dogs and it would be a shame to lose her or limit her hunting. She is pretty intense and even know she is hurting she wants to hunt. I get them puppy eyes from her and start feeling guilty because I won't let her hunt. Then I remind myself hunting her will only prolong the recovery and that I am doing the right thing.

Back