Thyroid medication

Crossing shot

My nine year old britt has always been fat. Since she doesn't eat anymore than my other dogs, I always assumed it was a thyroid issue.

In the past, I decided not to give the medication since she's a running son of a gun. Now I can see how losing a little weight might be a good thing. Has anyone started an older dog on thyroid meds?

Thanks

not yet

No but thinking about it. My 9 year old vizsla seems to be holding wight better now that shes getting older but seems like she's always bloated. About mid season she starts looking good again. But if shes not hunting 3 days a week she will gain weight.

Why would you assume it's thyroid and just give her medicine? Why not have her thyroid tested? Usually with a thyroid issue, there is her loss or bald patches behind the rear legs and coat problems. Take the dog to a quality vet and have it checked before giving g any meds.

Not sure if you are addressing me. If you are, I will take Champ to the vet for a thyroid test. I was asking for a heads up on thyroid therapy. Like any side affects. Been reading about bad side affects. I want to hear from guys that have dealt with it for a while.

Have you given a dog thyroid treatment?

Yeah I kinda thought that was a given. I dont think you can even get thyroid medicine for a dog without a vet visit...

No I haven't knock on wood. I have always tried to stay away from lines that tend to have thyroid issues but it can show up in any lines regardless of bow clean the genetics are.

Our old dog had hypothyroid and took one pill a day for 9 years. Vets always wanted to check him even though his dosage never changed. Wouldn't give us medicine without the check.

Back