Thought I introduce my self

Remtech

My name is Dan and I just found this site. So thats why there are all these late replays to the post that are posted. I have been hunting for a long time but I am only 26 so lots of hunting left. Can't wait for next season to share some great stories on this forum. Till then I will be catching up on the post that are currently on this forum.

Dan

Hey there Dan. Welcome to the site;).

How did you do this past season? Any luck?

1pheas

Did good

Thanks. It wasn't my best year but I finished with 10 pheasants and I was using my new dog can't wait to see how she will do this coming year. How did you do this year.

Welcome Dan! Ten birds isn't bad for first year! So much of the fun of having a pup is seeing them get better each year.

I have two goldens. One is seven and will find every bird but just won't retrieve. The other is about 2 1/2 and is progressing well. First year was challenging but she is coming around well. I shot probably 35-40 birds this season. Most at Bong, some at Tichigan and Scuppernong, the rest at game farms.

I want to get out alot more next season. What do you think og bong and Tichigan? and where is Scuppernog?

How did you do this year.

Sounds like you did alright:thumbsup:

I didn't get out much. I have a young family now and expanding on my business at this time in my life:). Each time I was able to get out, it just seemed that I was in the wrong place at the wrong time. A couple of times I got out to hunt and found that the cover was plowed under:(.

I still saw plenty of wild birds though. Just watching them flush and do their thing make me very happy:cheers:

Good point and those are just the ones I shot my dad shot a bunch with me and there's always the ones that get away

Welcome to the site! nice to see more WI people on here. never been hunting down by Milwukee but it sounds like you did alright. Up by me you'd have to hunt put and take to have a chance at 10 pheasants in a year. Welcome and if you ever find yourself wanting to hunt some grouse let me know.

I want to get out alot more next season. What do you think og bong and Tichigan? and where is Scuppernog?

Dan - I hunt Bong a lot but you have to have patience there because there are some real gems that hunt there. I've actually had guys see one of my dogs acting birdy and they move closer with their dogs! My biggest issue at any PHG are the guys with field trial pointers that literally range hundreds of yards in front of them - then watching those dogs bust birds while their owner isn't anywhere near them. Because my dogs are flushers, my solution has been to hunt the thicker/heavier cover because few of pointer guys hunt that stuff. It isn't easy and is often more like grouse hunting than pheasant hunting, but I usually do ok.

Scuppernong is west of Eagle on Hwy 59. It gets a fair amount of pressure but is a very big grounds. It also holds some woodcock and is a good place to go late in the season.

When I hunt put and take birds I hit up the fence lines and small marshes on leased lands that the dnr chucks the birds from the roads.

I lost track of how many times I took the dogs out and limited out in about 15 minutes last season. Once the put and take birds get to the point where I have to hunt for a couple of hours to maybe get a limit I pretty much turn to wild birds exclusively.

Once you learn where the birds get thrown,how the typical hunters work the land,and where the birds end up it's almost like grocery shopping. At least until they stop throwing them.

All of the put and take up by me gets hammered pretty hard, it seems that everyone knows when the dnr truck plants birds and they hit it within 2 days. On opening weekend there are so many people out where the dnr plants birds that it is extremely unsafe! I prefer the woods, as I'm a little claustrophobic and all of the people make me pretty nervous. It's almost as bad as "hate your neighbor week". :(

All of the put and take up by me gets hammered pretty hard, it seems that everyone knows when the dnr truck plants birds and they hit it within 2 days. On opening weekend there are so many people out where the dnr plants birds that it is extremely unsafe! I prefer the woods, as I'm a little claustrophobic and all of the people make me pretty nervous. It's almost as bad as "hate your neighbor week". :(
It's the same way down here but you learn what places get overlooked by hunters but still get birds. If you are looking at an area that has a nice grass field and a lot of picked crops with a few brushy fence lines ignore the obvious grass and hit the fence lines.

Back