Those who hunt in Montana-Bad news

I know and I get that Cal, my trust in the govt is not at an all time high either but a majority of my hunting takes place on fed land which I'm very greatful for. I would've harvested a total of 0 roosters last year if it weren't for our NWR system.

I know and I get that Cal, my trust in the govt is not at an all time high either...

When I worked as a land planner for the county I had to work with biologists from both DFG and the USFWS. Of the two, the USFWS were the more rabid about protecting wildlife values while the DFG unit wildlife biologist I had to work with was, let's say, reluctant to do anything to meet his dept.'s public trust responsibilities that might be controversial and not well received by the project developers. I had to use the threat of USFWS involvement sometimes to get conditions placed on projects that the DFG guy was too timid to recommend.
I have great respect for most DFG, now DFW, and USFWS biologists. When I said some people don't like their government, it wasn't me.:cheers:

What I see of the BLM (MT) Those folks do a very good with managing the range land. Rest/rotation grazing, re establishing sage lands, noxious weed control, managing stock reservoirs, access trails etc and all open to the public with no additional charges.
The US F&W service creates the problems.

I had the opportunity to be guided to some Pheasant Forever projects while I was in MT this past week. Totally impressive! These guys really do know the needs of the Ring Neck and and the native wildlife that benefit from these projects. They choose the areas with "high potential" to improve for wildlife habitat, and it's working VERY well.
They know how to get the most for the $$$. Volunteers help a lot, it's like "I'll bring the tractor, you bring the fuel" No need for gov trucks, equipment, employee benefits etc.

So, you guys that hunt MT or would like to hunt MT this is what you should do. (They do projects all over Eastern MT by the way).

Send Checks to. (tax deductible)
Central MT Chapter of Pheasants Forever
c/o Pat Logan, Treasurer
599 A Street
Lewistown MT 59457

I've never hunted on PF owned land or one of their projects but based on your recommendation I'm sending that chapter a check for $100 today. A friend once told me that you can tell how effective an organization is based on the clothes they wore to their meetings. If they all wore the same blazers with their organizations patch on the breast pocket instead of tan Carrhart pants, the organization had probably gotten bigger than the most cost effective size. PF, like the Calif. Waterfowl Assoc., strikes me as still in the Carrhart phase.

Cal, that is a nice # and it goes into good stuff. :thumbsup:
When you stop to visit us this Fall you should plan on at least a couple three days, probably like 5-6, 10 or the whole 2 weeks of your MT time, we have plenty of room. :)
I promise! You'll be pleased at money spent. And I already know stuff that will keep Morgan, Star and the Woodster very busy.
AND I hope to, not assuming anything, but hopefully will be accepted into "Possum Lodge" I think you understand the possibilities. :cheers:

mnmthunting, your offer of a place to stay for a period of time is generous but as we both know guests, like fish, begin to stink after a couple of days and especially those who sleep with their dogs.:)
I mentioned your name in the note I included with the check I sent to Pat Logan. I hope that gets you into the lodge but if it doesn't you can always make a necklace out of rolls of duck tape. That should be the equivalent of a secret handshake. Don't be reluctant to pick on guys from Calif. if that helps with the initiation ceremony. There aren't a lot of us out there and we all have tough hides.
Here's to 2015!:cheers:

Back