This up coming Weekend

Fritter

Well i,ve been taking in all the help over the last week and have planned a trip up north on Saturday to try my luck. We are going to work over the area around Loess Hills state park. If anyone has open land up there i would love to step onto private property. I hunt with my dad, brother, nephew and my 9 year old son. Dad, my brother and myself are the only ones that carry shotguns and have completed hunter safety.

Thanks in advance,

Fritter

I sure do... I have been looking them over to make sure I know my way around. I will update on Saturday night.

Thanks,

Fritter

If you take interstate 29 you can get to it from two different exits they are exit 89 and also exit 95 and it sits to the east of the interstate. You can check out the map @ www.iowadnr.com and look it up under Harrison county.

Hope this help,

Fritter

oh ok ... anyone hunting around fort dodge this weekend?

Afraid not. I'm actually going to Iowa City and planning a quick morning hunt before the tailgating and then hopefully a combo hunt Sunday. Good luck this weekend though. :cheers:

I too am curious...

Hey guys, I know I am new here but I am curious about this area as my wife and her family are from the West Harrison county area and unfortunately none of them are into hunting. I make the 8 hour drive back there every year atleast three times and have not been able to find ground to hunt. Hoping some of her friends that still live there can help out but never seems to materialize. Are there any other areas within 2 hours drive of Missouri Valley, IA that a homely coloradan could take a peak at? I even keep offering to take some of her family and friends on an elk hunt here but still haven't got out. Was even thinking of heading over to pheasant bonanza just to get time in the clay range and field. Good Luck and Drop Em':cheers:

rwalker, you may want to shoot up to the Souix City or north area. Pretty decent around there and north. Otherwise, maybe PheasantAddict could point you to an area a little closer.

Much Thanks

Appreciate the response, buddy of mine has family there and may have some connections. Bird numbers any good there? I keep hearing how bad you guys population is faling, but from what I've seen and heard a bad day there is an awesome day here!

I'm not sure, but I keep hearing it is better the further north and west you go. I typically hunt about 2 hours east of there and it's been pretty good. Slow down south.

If your coming from out of state and staying in the Missouri Valley area, you might want to look at Nebraska also. I don't know how much public ground they have around there.

Just got back from Iowa very tough this year bird numbers way down,my tenth year of going out to Iowa my dad lives there.Best thing could advise is the northwest area of the state seems to be better.

East-Central is real tough...

Been out a few times in my favored spots just east of Cedar Rapids and its slim pickins, lots of walking in some of best habitat with very few birds.

There are pockets and in the best habitat on private ground its somewhat better, but still nothing like you had back just 5-7 years ago.

This is the bittersweet harvest reaped from several harsh winters, record flooding, and habitat loss on a large scale.

NW is better, from all accounts. The guy who writes the sports section in our local Cedar Rapids newspaper did a piece on the hunting in the NW, he had much better luck up there.

Regards,

Joe

up North Report

Saturday November 20, 2010 report

we went up north and found all kinds of birds. we went north of the loess hills public fields and found some private fields to walk and the birds are there. The one thing that i didn't find was my aim. I went home empty handed and thinking about trading my gun for a camera. We are heading out on black Friday to try our luck again.

Just a side note one bird that has been really low in numbers is quail but on Saturday i found a couple coveys of around twenty Bob whites.

Did you guys know land owner(s)? I am curious if you didn't were they receptive to knocking and asking permission. Father-in-Law tells me farmers around him in Modale don't like to let hunters in whether it is a liability issue or whatever. Out here in colorado you can typically walk up, knock on a door and get permission as long as they don't have friends or family coming out to hunt. Friend lives in Whiting just north of Onawa and have him talked into trying on Saturday if you guys leave any. Any recommendations on area to start in?

We went home empty handed... but I will redeem my self on Friday. I felt like a young kid again when I seen all the quail busting from the grass. I couldn't pick one to shoot at and that is why I landed a big fat zero.

Well I have hunted in colorado before and I had the same thoughts you do... It takes a lot of time most places don't answer when you knock... When they do it pays off. No we didn't know any land owners. I'm sure you will have good luck on Saturday and see your birds out their. We hit the roads around 7:00 and look for birds in the ditch and once it hits 8:00 we start knocking in the area we seen the most birds.

Let me know how you do...

Thanks,
Fritter

Back