Things to see or do

I am headed out to South Dakota the second week of November. It will be just the dog and me. My plan is to hunt two days and take a rest day, let the dog and I relax. i have been out there several times and this is the pattern I like. We will be either in the Mitchell or Aberdeen area, my question is what can we do on our off day? Is there anything in either of those areas I should see? I’ve never been to Mt Rushmore, but it seems like a pretty far drive. Thanks for any ideas.

Badlands are Bad A$$. And an easy drive from the river. Pitching jigs or plugs in the fast water at Big Bend Or Oahe tail race is always a great way to spend a morning or evening. While it's just a quick stop at the rest area in Chamberlain. The Dignity statue is quite a sight. Hiring a fishing guide at chamberlain if you like to fish would also be an option.

That sounds like so much fun!
Take an extra day & put the miles on.
Or save some for next time.
Mt. Rushmore (do it....& get a pecan praline waffle cone)
Badlands (phenomenal)
Spearfish Canyon (beautiful)
Custer State Park Wildlife Loop (last hour +/- of daylight) (tatanka; buff)
Video at CSP Visitor Center "Spirit of Tatanka" (awesome; only 20 minutes)
Wall (touristy; can check it off your list forever)
Crazy Horse Monument (really cool; or just do a driveby on the hiway)
Bike/Walk Mickelson Trail between Mystic & Rochford (ab..solutely...gorgeous)
Jewel &/or Wind Cave (very cool & very different from each other)
Minute Man Missile Visitor Center (really, REALLY well done & interesting)
Akta Lakota Museum (you'll not find a nicer little museum - superbly done)
Dignity Sculpture (most amazing piece of art....anywhere!)
Terry Redlin Museum (WAY cooler than you might think)
Falls Park (Sioux Falls) (really a nice park, very unique)
Arch of Dreams (Sioux Falls) (if you're at Falls Park, might as well see this too)
Porter Sculpture Park (hokey, but neat)
Palisades State Park (really pretty place - unique)
All phenomenal to see/do.

Last edited:
Black Hills destinations would be a pretty far drive from Mitchell or Aberdeen for just a day trip. But it is definitely doable. From Mitchell you could make a better day trip just to the Badlands and Wall Drug and back. Or any fishing along the MO River. In Chamberlain you could get some walleye from shore that time of the year. Or you could spend the day scouting for your next day or future trips? Or just do some lighter road or ditch hunting later in the evening.

Thank you all for the ideas. I think I’m definitely going to head out to the Black Hills area. I’ve really wanted to see them. I looked at Custer state park and that looks awesome. I’ve never heard of the minute man museum , but that looks cool, also like the car museum. I’m not much of a fisherman, but I will be looking into it for next year. Thanks again.

If youre a car guy and have the time on the way home, Okoboji Classic Cars is worth the stop and only 25 miles south of I90 at exit 64.

Thank you all for the ideas. I think I’m definitely going to head out to the Black Hills area. I’ve really wanted to see them. I looked at Custer state park and that looks awesome. I’ve never heard of the minute man museum , but that looks cool, also like the car museum. I’m not much of a fisherman, but I will be looking into it for next year. Thanks again.
I'm getting a little jealous. You're going to have a blast! Just you & the dog, at your own pace. If the Minute Man Museum sounds interesting to you, then do NOT miss it. Super interesting & well done. Walk that portion of the Mickelson Trail I mentioned. Arguably no more gorgeous spot on the planet. Most of the things I listed are either free or dang near. Except the Bandlands. They're pretty proud of a National Park pass. But still well worth it. If you get a NP pass, I think that would get you into Wind Cave Park too. Cave tour extra. (I've updated my original list w/ a couple notes for you/others.)

Back