Things are looking up

DIRKNPHEZ

I went out to wester ks this weekend and scouted some of the land we like to hunt. The cover was looking 10x better than it has in three plus years. There will be a lot more land to hunt this year and that's a good thing. We didn't see a whole lot of birds until this morning. We did happen to stumble across two hens and a very generous amount of chicks in tow. It really made the trip worth it. My mind was racing ahead to November ready to go. There was a hail storm that went through the area right around hatching time and we have been wondering how bad the broads were effected. Somehow they made it through. Gonna make a couple more scouting trips to different parts of the state we haven't hunted in three or four years and hopefully will see something. Better than I expected which is something that has gotten me more excited than I should be.

Great news. Thanks for reporting. I hope the improved habitat does make for more birds this year - but crow counts were down from last year.

Last edited:
Went out tonight and saw 10, the cover is good. Maybe we are a year or two away from hunting being good again in south/central KS

how does NC and NE Kansas look for quail this year if you don't mind me asking?

We have more quail here in east central Kansas then since before the flood year of 2007. This morning I saw 7 coveys driving 10 miles on county roads. They were in the roads getting out of the wet cover from the heavy dew. The coveys are nice size, 12 to 15 birds. We will start picking corn in a couple weeks and I will get a really good idea then. I was at my farm in Finney county over the weekend, and saw several nice pheasant broods. They ranged from half grown to just barely big enough to fly. They were nice size broods also. Hopefully this will be the beginning of the recovery. The country out there is sure nice and green.

Thanks that Sounds promising, the last couple years I hunted in Republic, Washington, Marshall and Nemaha county's.

I'd go down around Colony area and hit up some WIHA and knock on some doors. Always good quail hunting down there. It's a hot spot.

Used to hunt on a friends farm down there back in the 90's and it was always chock full of quail. Of course back then I wasn't hunting anything but waterfowl but always, always, heard quail calling in the mornings.

I'd go down around Colony area and hit up some WIHA and knock on some doors. Always good quail hunting down there. It's a hot spot.

Used to hunt on a friends farm down there back in the 90's and it was always chock full of quail. Of course back then I wasn't hunting anything but waterfowl but always, always, heard quail calling in the mornings.

I live 2 miles west of Colony. I have been taking turns mowing with my Uncle and brother, and we are all 3 excited about the number of quail we have been seeing. That said, its pretty hard to get permission unless you know somebody. The numbers have been down since the flood wiped them out in 2007, and everyone is pretty protective of them now. They have been on the rebound the last 2 years.

True you don't wanna mention quail hunting. Which is a good thing because hopefully there will always be a covey or two around even if it is on unhuntable land.

Waterfowl hunting is fairly easy to get permission. Few want thoss noisy geese around all the time lol. But some are also seeing dollar signs which is understandable.

True you don't wanna mention quail hunting. Which is a good thing because hopefully there will always be a covey or two around even if it is on unhuntable land.

Waterfowl hunting is fairly easy to get permission. Few want thoss noisy geese around all the time lol. But some are also seeing dollar signs which is understandable.

Thats true, I can't even tell you how many guys we have hunting geese on our corns stubble. There are more and more guys leasing ground for deer hunting every year around, and I can't say I blame them at 10 to 15 bucks per acre. I haven't ever leased any of mine, but I guess never say never. I have two sons that love to hunt that may disown me if I ever did.

Back