the sky conditions

Bob Peters

Over this season I've seen people describe "ideal" conditions, and sometimes they've said sunny skies and sometimes they've said overcast is preferred. I'm just curious, why is one better than the other, or what difference do sky conditions make for hunting?

I've found if it's really sunny and no clouds depending on which way the bird flies it can make it extremely hard to tell what they are. I prefer cloudy days and having my yellow or orange glasses on. That being said I shot two birds last Friday under blue bird skies and I was thinking to myself what a gorgeous picture this would make if I had my camera with a brightly colored rooster against clear blue skies. But...I had my shotgun. And this still wished it was cloudy.

All though it's hard to beat a cool sunny Fall day hunting roosters in ND here's a second vote for overcast or partly cloudy days because target ID is paramount when you only have about 2.5 seconds between the flush and the bird breaking 50 yards. Also any conditions that make it cooler for the Wrecking Crew are welcome...

Last edited:
I like overcast mainly because the dog will be cooler. It is easier to ID the bird under overcast as well.

Another vote for cloudy/overcast skies, like BritChaser said, my black dog stays much cooler...target ID is also easier...
Rob

Cloudy and overcast. But, that sunset view with a combine rolling off in the distance and some dust in the air is tough to beat while you are sitting on the tailgate after a full day of hunting. That's worth half the trip to the Dakotas.

While my favorite hunt is a clear, warm (50 degrees), no wind, near a lake in light grass so I can really see my dog work. I have missed opportunities on a couple birds due to not being able to identify them quickly enough.

My most successful hunting conditions will be 15 mph wind on an overcast day, little snow falling, 10 to 35 degrees, in cattails or transition habitat along the cattails.

Back