The season is better when?

hey guys just wonder what are all of our thoughts on what is the best situation for a great pheasant hunting season? habitat & crops coming out wise... like is it best when we get a opening day with all the crops out??? is it best when we have crops still standing & then the crops come out later & we get almost 2 openers once the birds cant just run in the corn is it better when we have higher water & the birds cant just run into the cattails ETC. ???

like last year in MN & most other pheasant destinations across the pheasant country we had no standing crops on opening day & that lead to high success for most groups in good pheasant range in MN & im sure other states but when we have no crops on opener the habitat stays the same from opening day to the last day of the season & birds understand exactly how to work the hunters & survive... when we get a average crop out during pheasant season say mid-late OCT. & the birds slowly run out of cover the hunting seems good longer then when all the crops are out early do you all feel the same way??? i also love it when we have higher water & birds cant run into the cattails early in the season if you have a perfect storm we mite could have great hunting longer this season???

i understand we need good brooding conditions to have birds & quality habitat also that being said we have the good broods & quality habitat to choose from what are you guys hoping for???

best of luck to everybody & happy safe hunting to all this season...

Since our group only makes one trip a year to SD, I want the crops out!
We are headed to SD end of OCT 26th to be exact.

Crops out. We have one field that is five contiguous quarters with awesome habitat, but an abutting quarter's farmer never gets his crop cut until after the season, and it acts like a bird vacuum for the whole area. The birds like the tall cover of uncut corn and milo. A real pis**r.

Last edited:
As a hunter conservationist ,crops on ,I mean hey they don't have dogs and can't shoot back . As a hunter , killer ,customer , crops off, I mean I am spending a few thousand to come out. But hey give em the crops I will come back for them in the following YEARS ! ....... Hopefully. :cheers::cool:

If the crops are still in the fields over opening week or weekend it makes for a longer and better all around season for Ringnecks.:thumbsup:

It sure is better for hunters that take the first and only week to hunt.
So for you guys, I hope the crops are off. That is, in your hunting area.

For me, I like the crops standing.:cheers:

Some of the best seasons pheasant hunting for me has been when the crops are still in and its hotter than heck the first 2 weekends of the season.

Not many birds get shot those weekends and there are more 1st year birds later in the season.

It stinks for the out of state guys that come out at the beginning of the season. But it pretty good for us local guys.

if i was paying thousands then i would want the crops out every year & or i would just plan to hunt later in the season...

but for us none PAY TO PLAY guys that hunt more then a wk-end or 2 we are stuck with the hand we are dealt come opener...

i would much rather see some crops standing on opener & have to walk the corn fields then just have that 1 or 2 big shooting wk-ends & have spooky high pressured birds & no cover the rest of the season... just me...

most guys that only hunt opener like them young dumb roosters but if the crops come out later there are more around longer like setternut said... got to think like a local to get in on the good out of state hunting a setternut???

Crops out. We have one field that is five contiguous quarters with awesome habitat, but an abutting quarter's farmer never gets his crop cut until after the season, and it acts like a bird vacuum for the whole area. The birds like the tall cover of uncut corn and milo. A real pis**r.

if them pheasants did that to me every season id have to send a few older guys or great shots over there to be blockers & wreck them roosters corn field escape plans!!!

we have hunted the area in western MN wear we hunt for years & have some escape routes figured out got to out think them little scary runner pheasants... lol

Back