The rut

UGUIDE

Looks like things are starting to heat up. Was in the stand today and saw 6 bucks and 5 does. Little wind issue or might have had a shot at a nice 8 pt.

Deer are not chasing too much yet but look mlike they are ready to ramp up. Temps are cooler tomorrow so plan to hit it hard.

Ay other rut reports out there? Corn around us is still in:mad:

Chris,

Tuesday night I was on my way into the grocery store battling the wind and dodging deer! In the ten miles from my house to town I saw 5 bucks 3 of which were chasing does! 2 were real big boys an 8 pt. and a 10 pt.

Wanted to get out tonight but got out of work later than I had hoped. When I got out to my uncle's place the corn was all down and there was an 8pt. following 2 does along the edge of the field I turned my truck around and left. All 3 were within 30 yards of the stand I wanted to sit in.

Called the farmer I had worked for and he said the corn is coming out this weekend.

I will be heading out in the morning before work (perk of working for family can be late because of deer hunting) and then again after work. not sure about Saturday yet have to see how tomorrow goes.

Good luck!
Scott

2011 rut

It was a good season this year although I did not shoot a buck in either WI or Sd but there is still time left.

I got a doe and a fawn and nieghbor got this nice 10 that I helped him tack on a liver shot with his bow and hauled him out with the JD in the doe picture.

Very glad I still get excited to shoot does as much as bucks.

Opening day gun in WI I saw 19 deer including one buck bumping a doe of her bed which was surprising this late.

2011-11-20_17-57-41_230.jpg

2011-11-04_11-16-23_451.jpg

I am with you on the harvesting of does as much as bucks. I lost the "trophy hunter" in me long ago...besides, the antlers make lousey soup!!:)

Brought in freezer meat yesterday for this season. Nice sized young doe. She's in the shed, minus skin and backstraps right now. No great hunt story. Saw the deer, shot her. I butcher at home, so the next few days I'll whittle her down.

Not much thrill in deer hunting for me any more. Age thing, I'd guess. If it is not too much trouble and the Wisconsin weather isn't too severe, I like it. The time of sub-freezing days with driving wind have lost their charm.

Might go out again to hunt for a friend's freezer. Mostly, I resent giving up the pheasant hunting days during deer season. :)

Is this the normal time of year for the peak of the rut in Wisconsin? Pa.'s peak was a couple of weeks ago!

oops! I didn't check the date of the first posts! I guess that's about right!

Last edited:
In many places up here in N. WI, the deer herd is down, down, down. Between wolves, bear and a DNR issuing unlimited doe tags, we've about extirpated the deer from our woods. This year makes three seasons in a row I've not seen a deer while hunting. 18 days total. Heck, the deer are so few and far between even the wolf pack that patrolled our area has moved away. At least my brothers have come to the realization that they don't need to listen to DNR's game managers who want to kill off all the deer and chose not to shoot any does this year. A few years of that practice and maybe we'll have decent hunting again.

I like venison and enjoy shooting them but I can't sit. Start thinking about grouse,and pheasants. Hunted jackson county last few days of the season. 2 guys walking clear cuts. We saw some deer but we were limited to bucks because we didn't buy doe tags and zone wasn't herd control. Amount of deer sign seemed really low. Wolves in that area of the state too.

Hey did you guys know you can tregister your deer in 5 pieces now? I take that to mean you could skin the deer, pull out back straps and t-loins, d bone the front and hind quarters removed from body. So as long as head and carcass are attached, throw the legs in a box and haul it into registration and you are legal.

What would be cooler is to be able to just call it in over phone like MN is doing this year. Hopefully I can connect on a muzzy hunt this weekend at our local park in Burnsville and see how the system works.

Back