The Roosters are Killing Me!!

As many of you know, I hunt pretty much solely public land & walk-ins in SE SD. It's quite rare that I take the time to get on private ground anymore.
But I'm thinking that may become necessary, very soon, if I want to shoot many more pheasants in the last 6 weeks of the season.
Prior to Dec. 12, I was averaging 2.53 roosters per outing. And not hunting terribly long & hard to do it. Ace & I have been having a fantastic year!!
In my last 5 outings, I've averaged exactly 1.00 rooster per trip. Grrrrr. Here are my thoughts:

1. Public land birds used the cattails a lot more while they were still sloppy, before freezing. Since there was so much standing water & mud in most cattails, the result after freezing is an ice rink or mud rink with reeds sticking up all over. They may use these spots occasionally, just for walking around wasting time before 10:00. But they're not roosting in them. They're not cozy.

2. With the nice weather, and because they have just as many options today as they had on opening day (except for standing corn), they're mostly roosting in grass. And most of the good grass on public areas has been hunted so much, they don't feel safe there at any time. So they're finding grass to roost in on the wrong side of the fence.

3. The birds in my areas just plain don't need the public land right now. They've got plenty of places to eat, hang out, & roost on the safe side of the fence. If we don't get 6-10" of snow soon, something to severely limit their options, the next 6 weeks are going to be uncommonly tough.

4. If I want to shoot many more roosters this season, I see my choices being sell my soul in exchange for some significant snow, or get on some private land.

Just got back. Blizzard got us pretty bad. Spent a night in Sioux Falls to let it blow through. Drove by a bad pile up west of SFs. Shot a nice bird out there. 30 bars and 5/8” spurs. One of the bigger ones I’ve shot. Merry Christmas to all you fellow bird hunters. Last day we hunted it was 58 deg. I’m hoping that good nesting weather this spring will help build numbers. They sure have had a great winter so far. Time to clean the guns and be thankful for another season. These late season birds were pretty educated. We both limited every day but had boots on the ground until sunset. The wind really helped. Miya pretty tired after 20 days out there. She’s nine and I’m 64. I can see and feel it getting harder for both of us.
Mgorvi: You think 64 is getting harder...try 83. Some of the younger lads have a hard time keeping up!

I just returned Sunday from 5 days of hunting around Mitchell and Huron. It was my first trip to SD but hunted for years in NE until the pheasant numbers dropped. I had a very tough time finding birds last week. I shot 3 over 5 days. It was not what I had hoped to find. I was hunting small WPAs with food and water adjacent. I am actually glad to hear it was not just my poor skills or bad luck.
My 2 south Dakota hunts were good.One was a uppity reserve, that was easy.The other was a working farm.Im pretty sure I could do well freelancing out there.

OK, that makes sence, I couldn't quite put that together! Never bird hunted SD.
Its pretty flat.It isnt like Montana terrain. Its very common to have farmers ask for money to hunt.It has lots of long tree belts, hedge rows, things they planted back in the day.The people are friendly, for the most part.The public stuff is pretty good, but it can get hunted out.

Jonny great to see that your still chasing roosters! Been since 17 that I hunted w you in SD! Merry and happy etc!

Nugent, I do prairie dawg shoot in SD, used to fish there a little. Some of the nicest folks live out there that you will ever find. My 2nd most favorite thing to do, it is only 4 days a year though. :( Northwest, SD, saw a lot of roosters in the ditches driving back home this past June. Seldem see one while shooting PDs.

Thinking about things...are the cactus an issue with the dogs feets???? Or are the cactus not in the terrain where the pheasants typically are?

Is that a French spaniel. I have one. First one I’ve owned. Merry happy with him. Don’t know that I’ve ever seen one hunting or in a picture from a hunting group
Yup. Minnesota French Spaniels. Rare breed. You might never see another one. Hunting, pointing machines. Miya put up 50 roosters this season. Got a puppy coming in two weeks.

Nugent, I do prairie dawg shoot in SD, used to fish there a little. Some of the nicest folks live out there that you will ever find. My 2nd most favorite thing to do, it is only 4 days a year though. :( Northwest, SD, saw a lot of roosters in the ditches driving back home this past June. Seldem see one while shooting PDs.

Thinking about things...are the cactus an issue with the dogs feets???? Or are the cactus not in the terrain where the pheasants typically are?
Sometimes there are cactus in spots.It doesn't bother my lab, but dogs know how to avoid them.

Yup. Minnesota French Spaniels. Rare breed. You might never see another one. Hunting, pointing machines. Miya put up 50 roosters this season. Got a puppy coming in two weeks.
Terrific. Mine just turned 6. I will be needing a pup in next few years and plan on getting another. Wonderful family dog and after a slow start has turned into a great hunter.

Back