The results of the Big Pheasant Meeting are...?

carpfisher

Did anything ever come out that big meets last year? We saw a report, but any real action?

Based on the reports of trips on the forum and our own experience, the solution was "let's make up a good recruitment report and predict high numbers. That'll bring everybody back."
Not being a native SD, we don't see the details you guys might.

Did anything ever come out that big meets last year? We saw a report, but any real action?

Based on the reports of trips on the forum and our own experience, the solution was "let's make up a good recruitment report and predict high numbers. That'll bring everybody back."

Don't forget that the South Dakota Game Fish and Parks stocks pheasants to pad the numbers and the pay to hunt clubs have all wild birds and everyone gets limits every day of the season.

It's not easy and costs a lot to do habitat right and it helps to own land with natural features that help--birds have been hard to come by so far this year--why I don't know--but I guess it is my fault as I 've had people complain that I just don't have any birds--gee guys sorry--I'd refund your fee but seeing how I don't charge to hunt that's not an option.

Still I keep on trying as I have added another 10% of the farm to the habitat side of things for the coming year. Now for the real kicker--one new habitat project will be 75.5 acres in size and the complainers (see above) said " that's to much in one plot --it will be hard to hunt---darn!!

Oh yea one other thing landowners don't get RICH off CRP

Sorry for the rant but I'm feeling a little used here and not happy about it at all. :(

Don't forget that the South Dakota Game Fish and Parks stocks pheasants to pad the numbers and the pay to hunt clubs have all wild birds and everyone gets limits every day of the season.

It's not easy and costs a lot to do habitat right and it helps to own land with natural features that help--birds have been hard to come by so far this year--why I don't know--but I guess it is my fault as I 've had people complain that I just don't have any birds--gee guys sorry--I'd refund your fee but seeing how I don't charge to hunt that's not an option.

Still I keep on trying as I have added another 10% of the farm to the habitat side of things for the coming year. Now for the real kicker--one new habitat project will be 75.5 acres in size and the complainers (see above) said " that's to much in one plot --it will be hard to hunt---darn!!

Sorry for the rant but I'm feeling a little used here and not happy about it at all. :(

SDJIM, we need more landowners like yourself. People who are willing to sacrifice profit for conservation and our great sport. I'm from WI and modern dairy farming is not friendly to upland habitat. Every year more fence lines get ripped out. All corn, alfalfa and beans. Fields plowed under by Thanksgiving. As a business owner I understand the need to make money. I just wish there were more farmers who think of the future of wildlife and farmed in a more wildlife friendly manner. It's been an honest 5 years since I've seen a wild pheasant in my immediate area. Very frustrating when you have to drive 3 hours to get an honest chance at a wild bird.

Thanks again for your support of habitat! Keep up the good work.
Lee

Really? You are gracious enough to allow someone to hunt your land for free and they bitch about the quantity of birds? Wow I can't imagine why that pisses you off. :confused: . I have a couple guys I hunt with up there and they both do a bunch of habitat work. We throw them a little cash every year to offset some of it. They are not getting rich by any means with what we are paying. Even at that I would never think of complaining about it when things were a little thin. All you can do is build it, whether or not they come is up to a power far greater than me.

Jim,

There will be a bad egg once in a while. A lot of see your effort and appreciate the chance to hunt your place while in SD.

Some just don't realize that SD is about the whole experience not just being covered up with birds and shooting limits everyday. It should be more about the dog work and the friendships we forge while being in SD.

Keep doing what you are doing because it is a benefit to habitat.

We will see you soon!

These are the recommendations that came from the group but in all reality they just need money to pay farmers to plant grass. Easier said than done and very costly. Its a start but guys still hay ditches in June against state law. People turn them in and nothing happens. And I am not talking about small right of way ditches either. Most of hwy 10 was hayed in June.

http://habitat.sd.gov/docs/8RecommendationsArticle.pdf

And SDJIM, way to go man. Your planting habitat and not charging hunters, wow. Not every one is willing or able to do that.

Last edited:
Yea, we were amazed how flat most of the roadside ditches were. We are U-guide patrons so we see the good side of habitat mgmt as well.
Funny andtypical Story. OTW back to the Hooch after walking Cattail sloughs ( PL) all day, with a few birds. We past some guys walking a ditch. Not a 1/4 mile from them (behind them) we watched 15-20 birds walk out of the ditch into the field. Made us laugh.

FWIW, we appreciate every bit of effort the landowner's , both Ugiuide folks and the WIA do for habitat.

Wondering how the cool weather will change things. Birds should group up and dogs can work harder in the cool temps. I'm heading to SD next week for two weeks. Even last year hunting public land I saw plenty of birds.

birds have been hard to come by so far this year--why I don't know--but I guess it is my fault as I 've had people complain that I just don't have any birds--gee guys sorry--I'd refund your fee but seeing how I don't charge to hunt that's not an option.

Jim - I'm sad to read this.

You've offered a lot of people some great opportunities that have created memories for them. The computer screen saver I have at work is of my dog Sage retrieving her very first ever wild pheasant, taken on your property 2 years ago. Its still a happy moment in time for me that I wont forget.

Jim,

As you well know, Ive never hunted your ground, but you were gracious enough to take time out of your way and show me what you have done and are doing, which in this day and age, is nothing short of phenomenal.

I am blessed with several excellent parcels of private land that I can hunt in Aurora and Lyman counties. Both have held birds (lots of them in the past). All hold birds now, but nothing like it was. While this landowner walks a fine line between production and habitat, its a losing battle with whats going on around his land. His bird rearing property cannot sustain the populations of the past.

Im sorry to hear of your situation Jim. Your property is some of the best in the area.

My plans are to not hunt again till snow flies. It apprears Ill be fishing sooner than usual. I still have your number Jim. ;) maybe we can share the boat a time or two this winter.

anyone who follows your work on this site, to help the birds, appreciates you Jim....even if we never hunt on you....us regulars know about your efforts, keep up the good work, with habitat, mother nature will eventually reward you..:thumbsup:

Back