The oddest thing you have had your dog point

remy3424

I took my 10 month old GSP out to a creek with filter strips after work today, same place as a couple weeks ago where he had a couple really nice points. Tonight we pushed some roosters pretty much from one end to the other, no hard points, but it was fun watching him hunt...he was so slow for a GSP, it was windy and he is new at this, so I am thinking he might not quite have the scent down to how close or far they really are. Anyway he flushed 4 roosters and one he got up twice. We were approaching the end after we when down, crossed the waterway and were about back to the starting point when I saw him go down into the creek channel. I walked a bit further and then headed toward the water and found him on a rock-solid point down by the water. The water is maybe 2 feet across and maybe 8 inches deep, plenty of grass in and around the water and bank, so I gave him a minute and I notice something in the water. It took me a minute to figure out what I (and Gus ) were looking at, it was a large snapping turtle, pretty much the width of the water, with just the tip of his head out and and maybe half of his shell out of the water. Gus knew he found something and he really wanted to find-out what it was. I couldn't call him off, so I grabbed the collar and pulled him out of there with out messing with the old bugger. That has to be the oddest living thing I have had a dog point! Seen many living things with fur or feathers pointed, cats to coyotes, raccoons to rabbits, deer to doves, but a first for a turtle.

My French Brittany pointed a bobcat one time. The cat came out of some grass and got away before I figured out what it was. At the last moment I saw those ears.

In the 80's, my dad thought it would be a great bonding experience to purchase muskrat traps and to some trapping. We had a Lab-Weimeraner at the time. It didn't take long for her to figure out this new game. She would go hut to hut and point the ones that had muskrats caught. She went over to one hut that wasn't much bigger than a basketball. It never crossed our mind that this might be a hut holding muskrats because of its small size. She pointed on it so I figured what the heck and opened it up and put a trap in it. Came back the next day and pulled a trap out with a muskrat in it. This continued for a few more days. Man I miss that dog! Lots of great memories.

I had a Brittany that was a terrific tracker of wounded deer. After hearing about his ability to turn disastrous losses of archery shot deer into successful recoveries for both my son and myself, we started getting calls from friends and friends of friends whenever the situation would arise. One time a friend of mine called to ask for our help finding a deer he had shot but couldn't find. It was after dark when my buddy showed us where the blood trail had ended and the dog took off like a shot. We ran through the woods until our flashlights picked up two sets of eyes. One set belonged to the dog and the other to the still very much alive deer. The deer was backed into a blowdown and the dog was on point! The deer ran off and the dog relocated and pointed him two more times before I was finally able to dispatch the deer.

I had 1 of my weims sight pointing a rural mailbox. He was rock solid with a little growl and his hackles up. Mailbox was 80 yards away and across the road. Place has a real long driveway so mailbox was all alone.

Years ago 1976 we didn't have any coyotes around here. Had a dog pointing tracking pointing a coyote for about a 1/4 mile thru a shelterbelt. Coyote held at the end and got a solid point , both dogs on point. I walked in and kicking around to flush the bird kicked that coyote in the ass.

Last edited:
When my older gsp was 2 yrs old, I had a connection to hunt a cattle ranch in the rolling plains( north texas). We used to point many covies of bobs on this place. One cold, windy morning, she gets birdie right out of the truck . She bird dogged her way into a mesquite flat with high grass and just slammed into a point.I got out in front of her and nothing got up. I looked back at her and she was looking straight my way as staunched up as she could be. I moved forward a few more steps and I saw the grass moving about 10 more yards ahead of me. This very big, sleepy coyote stands up to stretch while looking the other way. Me and Lilly stood quietly and just watched, at this point I could smell him. Before he turns and notices us, another one gets up just a few yards to his right- this one looks at us and runs. At this point a third gets up and runs with the other two. I turned to Lilly and said “ let’s go” and went on like nothing happened.🤣
My dogs have also pointed Turkeys and birds of prey that were roosted in high grass.

When I was about 16 I had a pointer bitch that sometimes would flush the covey. So instead of working on her steadiness, I just ran like hell to her and hope she held. One day I saw her lock up a couple hundred yards away in some thigh high pasture grass. I took off as fast as I could. I arrived out of breath, heart pounding, port arms and walked up on a little newborn calf. Thank goodness the mom wasn't there.

On several occasions my English Pointers have locked up hard on point on deer and also on wild hogs (I live and hunt in Texas) that were bedded in tall, thick grass.

A couple of years ago, my best two dogs went on point and held, and I walked in expecting a covey of quail. Instead, they had a bobcat pointed. It took off when I got in close and the dogs stayed on point and watched it run away.

I bet if that rancher knew you let 3 coyotes amble off he would have a chat with you.
Oh -he knew about it, I related the story to him while we were chatting. He was amused but honestly couldn't give 2 sh#$$. We've been pretty good friends for many years.
I have been on places where I had rules or orders, so to speak, of things not to let walk or absolutely let walk. I had a place I hunted in south Tx that had a healthy population of bobcats but was told to absolutely NOT shoot them! You talk about a quail killing machine...Go figure...

My dogs have pointed coons, mice, porcupines, skunks....not fun, doves, yotes but the coolest is turkeys. All eyes are wide when the classic flush occurs! Had a handful of those years ago in northern MO and Southern Ia.

My 1/2 Gordon Setter 1/2 black lab always went with me to check cows. One evening we were sitting on a hill checking on the new bull and she would go on point right in front of me, walk slowly a few feet and go on point again.

I looked around and saw pocket gopher mounds, she was pointing them in their tunnels.

I ALMOST always have my phone/camera with me, for some reason (just in a hurry I guess) I left it at home that outing, so no pic of the snapper. The time before I did get nice phone video of the pup on his points. The heat is going to put an end out our off-season outings, that and the calendar.

Back in the early 90's wild turkeys were just showing up in east central IL. We had brittany at the time. He went on point in a crp field next to a hedgerow. When I walked up to the dog, 3 wild turkeys took off running. First wild turkeys I saw in Iroquois county.

I have two friends who have GSP's and they love to "point" porcupines. Then we spend a half hour pulling out quills.
Strangest thing they have pointed is an armadillo.

I have two friends who have GSP's and they love to "point" porcupines. Then we spend a half hour pulling out quills.
Strangest thing they have pointed is an armadillo.

MSCHNIP? You might want to have a talk with the GSPs, suggesting they not take "point" so literally.

Last edited:
Back