The last day...The best day!

chadsbritt

Well, I must say; Monday was an amazing day. Me and one of my buddies were able to make it out for the final day of the season and had a blast. The day started a little late and we didn't start hunting until after 8. Right away a hen jumped up in front of me, and then two roosters further out. By the time I realized a rooster was in the air, he was out of range.

We then proceeded to hunt a large field we've had pretty good luck in. The entire first side was walked with only one hen jumping up at the end of the field. We turned and started walking the north side of the field. About half way down, I briefly saw a bird running in front of me. I didn't have time to say anything before he jumped up. My first shot missed and either my friend or myself nailed him after that. Gauge, my brittany, made a great retrieve for us.

As we approached the end of the field I was ready for the birds to start popping up. Last Thursday we had over ten birds come up, half of which were roosters. Well, right as we were at the end of the field a rooster gave himself up and I took him with the first shot. Another great retrieve by Gauge! The last side of the field was walked with anticipation, but the birds just didn't want to play with us.

We then moved to an old abandoned farm yard. About twenty yards in, roosters started getting up everywhere. We didn't know what to do, but ended up taking one bird each. We were at four birds and only needed two more for our limit!

We then headed over to a friends property to hunt a pivot corner with huge pine trees and thick switchgrass. Not two minutes into the hunt, two roosters popped up in front of my friend. He nailed the first one, but missed the second. It took a little time to locate the downed bird, but we did find it. We continued on north, into the stiff wind, and approached the corner of the field. Suddenly, about six birds were in the air. I located a rooster and pulled the trigger. He was down and in the mouth of my Brittany before I had time to celebrate. We were done. Two guys with six birds... and it was only 11:00. :) I couldn't believe it. I'm sure glad I decided to make one final drive out east.

Great story!!! I especially appreciate your taking the time to provide the details. It allows us to make the trip vicariously if you will. What a great way to end the season:cheers:

Great story! Thanks for sharing with us. I am picturing it in my mind with each step you took wishing I was there! Glad you made it out on the last day. My son and Brother in law was out but only saw 3 hens and 2 rooster.
Thanks again for sharing, Rod:cheers:

Nice story Chad. There's something special about any successful late season hunt, but to end the season on a high note like that is really special.

I hate all of you! LOL.. Just kidding of course. Wish I could have got on some this year but great story Chad and thanks for rubbing it in.

I would take that anyday, especially in CO (unless there is a great place that has escaped me all these years).

I loved your story as an editor I found only one thing lacking. How many points did your Brittany make? To us Brittany hunters that would make the story some better and more interesting.---Bob

Man, to tell you the truth, I can't even remember. I'm not sure if he made any on that day. You know the story; late season pheasants that won't sit long enough to give even the most seasoned dog an opportunity to point. He did however make some fabulous retrieves and I'm not sure we would have found some of the birds without him.

Earlier in the season he made some amazing points. Our first outing of the season we hunted in about 6 inches of fresh snow. On three seperate occassions he went on hard point; sure enough roosters were buried under the snow and would explode out right under our feet. Talk about a rush. He even caught a bird.

Later in the season he had some amazing points on pheasants. On one occassion we had all walked right past a bird on the side of the road. I thought my dog was taking a leak, but I turned around and he was locked stiff as could be. Sure enough, we walked up to him and a hen flushed right under our feet.

On a seperate occasssion, he locked down on a small evergreen. Sure enough my cousin went up to the bush and kicked it. Again a hen blasted out from underneith it.

These are only a few of the points he made this season. It sounds like you needed a fix for a couple of stories of brittanys going on point. I hope this does it for you. :)

Any stories from anyone else?

Back