the guides perspective

cowdog

I got a phone call from one of the farmers I hunt on last week he wanted me to guide some hunters for him and you dont tell a farmer no so off to Yuma I went. I had no idea who or how many I was to guide so was a little apprehensive. I get there and meet them at the tavern and was relieved to find a group of good natured nice guys, 5 of them. Saturday was ok I think we got 6 roosters , the honey holes just werent panning out. One guy did manage to paste a rooster with a .410, never saw that before. We all still had a good time.
Sunday I had to come up with a better plan so I gathered a couple of regulars that I know up there so now there were 8 of us. Hunted very hard and walked alot of miles in t-shirt weather with only a few birds and a couple shots but none in the bag. the regulars split off at about 4 and my hunters were ready to give up and I didnt blame them but I said I got 1 more field in me and Im goin so follow if you want and they did, Its a massive pasture so there was no real plan just spread out and walk. By dark we had 12 roosters in the bag and many missed shots, smiles all the way around what a great end to a weekend of very tough hunting.
I managed to make a few bucks , a few friends , a bottle of Crown black for a tip and got to hunt at the same time. It doesnt hardly get any better.

Sounds like an amazing time. While I am a bit envious, there is something intrisicaly satisfying when you go at it on your own. I have put over 3,000 miles on the truck this season. I have shot a total of 11 birds on 6 trips...all public land. Not the best results. At times there have been plenty of birds but poor execution. Other days produced only 1 or 2 opportunities but I made them count.

My experiences with guides (mostly fishing) have been so poor that I tend to just go it alone. That said, your clients sound pretty satisfied.

It takes a Special person to be a Guide!!!! Could be a whole nother thread!! I won't go there!!!! Congrats on such a fun hunt and the Spirits!!!!!!!!!!!!!:10sign::cheers:

Back