The end of the season for me

calamari

I took Nancy and Morgan to a wildlife area for the last walk of the season. I haven't hunted since opening weekend because I shot enough birds then.
We walked around and Morgan got birdy but found nothing. I took her to a place that I thought would hold birds but she didn't seem impressed. We walked out into the small patch anyway and a rooster jumps but I get the safety/selector stuck between barrels for the second time this year and can't put the safety off. Nancy begins to question her choice in hunter gatherers.
I take a step watching the bird fly away and another rooster jumps but this time I manage to get the safety off. Last bird, and an old one at that, of a very successful year.

This box is a mystery to me so if anyone can rotate the picture and make it smaller, please, have at it.

attachment

Last edited:
Sounds like a great way to end the season to me Cal. Really what would you have done with two pheasants any ways?:D We moved 4 roosters and 7 hens today and all the roosters left the cover well ahead of us, I can't seem to convince my dad and uncle that we need to keep the chatter down this late in the season.:( I really hope JP will be ready to rock next weekend, he deserves a day out but it might not happen. On a good note we hunted a spot we haven't been to all season and the cover was great, the birds were there and there weren't very many "hunter highways" through it.:thumbsup: WAY back away from any parking lot.:cheers:

When I used to hunt w/o a dog I had to be very sneaky. No noise, all camo and even a face mask. They only run when there's noise to mask their movements. You're right on, Robert, about keeping the noise down. I don't talk to Morgan or use a dog whistle. Hand signals and a two note, quiet, lips only whistle.
Getting away from everyone is always a good thing too. This late in the season, as you know, you'll either jump nothing or a flock of only roosters.

Last edited:
Nice!

I'm done pursuing the wild pheasants ? got to go to Angel's Camp next weekend to see my nieces in "The Nutcracker."

It was a dismal season for me, but with my daughter set to enter kindergarten, I plan on resuming my annual voyages to Montana to hunt with the Smiths next year. Those always take most of the sting out of a crappy California season.

Nice!

I'm done pursuing the wild pheasants ? got to go to Angel's Camp next weekend to see my nieces in "The Nutcracker."

It was a dismal season for me, but with my daughter set to enter kindergarten, I plan on resuming my annual voyages to Montana to hunt with the Smiths next year. Those always take most of the sting out of a crappy California season.

I almost didn't write this, but I couldn't resist. I am relieved that it's the Nutcracker, ( as dismal as it can be), rather then you messed up on a hen, and had to turn yourself in! :cheers:

Cal, Dang good way to end up a dang good 2013 rooster season. Glad the year was good for you. I've looked back at my 2013 bird hunting, it was outstanding.
Could not ask for more. :cheers:

Cal, Dang good way to end up a dang good 2013 rooster season.
Now the funny part. We had dinner with friends and he wants to go hunting the last weekend so I guess I'll be out one more time but only to back him. 16 pheasants, 9 in Montana and 7 here, are enough.

Cal,
It's good to hear you finished the season ( or are about too) on a high note. My pheasant season is essentially over, but we still have about 3 and a half weeks of quail season yet. I'll do my best to get out as work and family allows. One thing for sure. I greatly enjoyed my trip to Montana this year. I believe I recieved a true Upland education, from the birds, and from you. Maybe our paths will cross again someday. Until then, all the best to you and yours.

Merry Christmas!

Thanks blackdog. I wish you could have heard the conversations I had with Morgan after you passed me on the road to Circle. Very Butch Cassidy. "Who are those guys?"
I still owe you at least an email on my point of view on the meaning of life but I probably won't be through cogitating on it until after the first of the year. I need to wait until an old man's blather is better that what is going on in the 'tween season.

A little piece of cover I rediscovered this weekend. Probably 10 acres in a horse shoe in the river next to a cultivated field. The best cover I've hunted all year and the cover on the walk out is pretty great also. Why was saturday the first time I've hunted here this year?

20131214_103546_zps1573604b.jpg

20131214_104047-1_zpsce7fa9aa.jpg

Hoping for one more shot at it with my best buddy JP.:cheers:

Finding a $100 bill in your wallet when you thought you only had a $5 is always a pleasant surprise. Late in the season is often better for pockets like that and that cover looks as good as it gets. No weenie jamming Rushes from the looks of it either so JP should have a good time if he can join you.

Back