The End Of Another Season!

gjw

Hey all, well, yesterday was the last day of our pheasant/upland bird season. For us, it was a fair season, not good, but not bad either. The drought we had this past spring and summer took its toll. A lot of good cover was either hayed or grazed over. The spring broods didn't fair well because of this and the weather. This last week week we got snow (not that big of a deal) and almost 10 days of sub zero cold. The snow did cover up some of the shorter cover and even the thicker cover didn't hold many birds. The last few weeks the birds have been really spooky in our area. Flushing 60-70 yards out. Only the hens held points.

The electronic posting that went into effect didn't really hamper access too much. The On-X app it was spot on, this app beats the heck out of the Game & Fish app hands down. I did check out some PLOTS and as usual, not very good. Mostly plowed or hayed fields, oh well, what's new!

Saw more Huns this year and Sharptail hunting was pretty good. Duck hunting not so good, dried up potholes or cover 20-30 yards from water. Deer hunting was good for us, I tagged out on Opening dat at 1:30 and my son Jim a hour later. Overall, the season was fair as I said from my perspective. But, it was good to get out, still able to walk my share of ground with no problems, no stuck vehicles and most of all no accidents of any kind.

I'm blessed to live here and won't ever leave so I can defiantly take a fair or bad year now and again.

A big thanks to the Good Lord and St Hubert for looking out after me and my hunting partners, my son Jim, daughters Teresa, Liz and Patty.

Fingers crossed for next year, hope the nesting and broods do well and we have a good carry over this winter.

Stay well my friends!

Greg

Hey all, well, yesterday was the last day of our pheasant/upland bird season. For us, it was a fair season, not good, but not bad either. The drought we had this past spring and summer took its toll. A lot of good cover was either hayed or grazed over. The spring broods didn't fair well because of this and the weather. This last week week we got snow (not that big of a deal) and almost 10 days of sub zero cold. The snow did cover up some of the shorter cover and even the thicker cover didn't hold many birds. The last few weeks the birds have been really spooky in our area. Flushing 60-70 yards out. Only the hens held points.

The electronic posting that went into effect didn't really hamper access too much. The On-X app it was spot on, this app beats the heck out of the Game & Fish app hands down. I did check out some PLOTS and as usual, not very good. Mostly plowed or hayed fields, oh well, what's new!

Saw more Huns this year and Sharptail hunting was pretty good. Duck hunting not so good, dried up potholes or cover 20-30 yards from water. Deer hunting was good for us, I tagged out on Opening dat at 1:30 and my son Jim a hour later. Overall, the season was fair as I said from my perspective. But, it was good to get out, still able to walk my share of ground with no problems, no stuck vehicles and most of all no accidents of any kind.

I'm blessed to live here and won't ever leave so I can defiantly take a fair or bad year now and again.

A big thanks to the Good Lord and St Hubert for looking out after me and my hunting partners, my son Jim, daughters Teresa, Liz and Patty.

Fingers crossed for next year, hope the nesting and broods do well and we have a good carry over this winter.

Stay well my friends!

Greg
Nice Greg thanks for that :)

Nice summary Greg, I've enjoyed your posts and pics throughout the season. You are a lucky man to live out there, and doing a fine job taking advantage of it! All the best!

Thanks guys for the very kind words!

Best

Greg

Thanks for your report, My ND hunt this year was better than last year. I hunted the same area and saw way more birds this year interestly way more hens hopefully they have a good rearing season and i feel it's poised to be a great season in 22. I like the electronic posting it will be interesting to see how it develops.

Great Report, You opportunities are endless there. I hunted ND for the first time this year and I will be back. It is a 24 hour drive for me. Rooster Rooster..

Loooong wait??? It is now only 8 months, 19 days, 18 hours and 5 minutes until the Iowa Opener!!! But who is counting.

Remy, Wow do I know the feeling, lol. But I have started making plans for next season. I have sent a gun off for repairs, bought a new pup, started printing a few maps off, etc. I hope also to get in better shape, lose a few pounds.

With you on the new pup and getting in better shape for next season. I hurt my back 2 weeks before the opener this last season, missed the first 3 weeks and the first week I wasn't a threat to any birds, but I was bird hunting and my mental health real improved after that!!! Could misplace a few pounds myself!

Back