The BEST upland hunting boot..?

If you don't need insulation, go with the outback's. I prefer the plain toes as frost and water doesn't gather on the toes. I've worn them for years. Comfortable and reasonably priced. My buddy loves them so much he wears those -30 socks you see on tv down to temps that I wear 400 gram boots. He swears by them!!

I just got a pair of Meindl Vakuum boots. Only worn around the house so far. Like what I see. This weekend will be first outside experience with them.

Lots of good choices out there. What is best really differs for each of us. My hunting is for ruffed grouse, prairie birds and pheasants, with grouse hunting the toughest on boots. I always bring two pairs on a hunting trip, whether a day trip or 8 day out of state trip. Might have a more aggressive sole on one pair. Need to rotate boots depending on the weather. Always insoles and liner socks under heavier pair. Boot dryer at night. Extra pair of laces in my hunting box. Obenauf's heavy duty leather oil. I prefer non-insulated boots unless in a pair of pac boots. I have had at least six pairs of Russells, literally wore four pair of them out. Even had some resoled. I have been at the Russell factory and have had my feet measured there. Extremely nice people to work with. My last two pairs are Schnee upland boots, but no longer listed in catalog.
Question came up on how to break in boots. Put the boots on and stand in warm water until socks are soaked and wear until dry. Suggest late summer. Then oil them up and ready to roll. Today too many boots are not all leather, just not the same. New boots should invoke upcoming trips, like the odor of a spent shell or a wet dog. Once snow is on the ground, then Schnee pac boots are worn. Even after double knee replacement, I enjoy the pleasure of walking behind my dog for miles. I hope my experience of over 50 years chasing birds helps someone increase their enjoyment of the outdoors. Boots on the ground and be safe.

There is only one answer for "best hunting boot" if you are talking upland hunting - Russell. https://www.russellmoccasin.com/

Custom fit, Handmade and will last nearly forever. You're going to pay double the price of factory made boots but these will last more than 2x as long and fit like a glove.

I have the Signature South Forty and added the boar hide toe cap for longer wear. I'm trying to think how long I have had them but easily over 10 years and probably closer to 20. You can get them re-soled, repaired and reconditioned too. probably last as long as you do.

There is only one answer for "best hunting boot" if you are talking upland hunting - Russell. https://www.russellmoccasin.com/

Custom fit, Handmade and will last nearly forever. You're going to pay double the price of factory made boots but these will last more than 2x as long and fit like a glove.

I have the Signature South Forty and added the boar hide toe cap for longer wear. I'm trying to think how long I have had them but easily over 10 years and probably closer to 20. You can get them re-soled, repaired and reconditioned too. probably last as long as you do.
Thanks, I’ll check these out. I live near there and my Irish Setters only have one more season left in them.

I have a pair for sale on this site.
Rooster..
Surprised that you still have them for sale.
Thought someone would have scooped them up by now

Very good price on them for someone!
Only thing that kept me from buying them was not being able to try them on
Id repost them..good luck

After many years of the same issues as you, I saved and purchased a pair of South 40 from Russell Moccasin. Unlined and not insulated so perfect until there is a lot of snow. YES, twice the price but bear with me for second. I am going on ten years and second soles. Still going strong. 100% triple vamped leather so no cortex or fabric to wear out on seams. In the long run I am much farther ahead IMO. You can have them resign if need be or replace the toe guard as needed. In the winter I wear Red Wing uninsulated but cortex lined. The lining is plenty of warmth for any weather while walking.
Boot care from my experience and people a lot smarter than me, is dirt and sand are more of a culprit for sucking the oils out of leather than water. Brushing off your boots will help. I second the use of Heavy Obernaufs. The grease is much more effective than the oil.
Good luck and keep trying to wear out whatever you buy with lots of hunting.

Thanks, I’ll check these out. I live near there and my Irish Setters only have one more season left in them.
I went to the factory and the owner personally did my foot measurements an gave my brother and I a tour of the facility. It was the Friday after Thanksgiving and they were actually closed. Noticed someone inside and knocked and he came and answered. Ralph Fabricius answered, told us to come in, take a look around, customize the boots, talked to us about what we should be looking for, additions, etc.

After he was on his hands and knees measuring my stinky feet from having been deer hunting, and giving us the tour he told us he owned the company. Even gave me a free hat.

Last edited:
Back