Thanksgiving weekend public land hunt.

GWP14

Headed out Thanksgiving afternoon from central Illinois. There will be 3 of us bringing one GWP and possibly a setter. We are basing out of Day county. Will be hunting in Day, Clark, Spink, Marshall and Brown. We will be hunting all public ground from the 25-28 and Maybe the 29th depending on if a guy can get off that day. If anybody wants to meet up and hunt with us they are more then welcome. Not looking for anybody's spots just looking to make some hunting friends out there . This will hopefully be the first of many trips out there.

Do you have an itinerary set up as to where you are going and where you are staying? I might be interested in hooking up with you Fri.-Sun. but I need more details, also I would bring be bringing my Gordon Setter with so am I safe to know everyone has hunted over dogs??

@looper we have a cabin rented about 5 miles north of Bristol. I have been going through the hunting Atlas marking public ground that looks to have crop fields around them. I'm planning on pinning them on my Google maps this weekend so I don't have to carry the Atlas with me out there. Once I have that done I will have a better plan on which way we will be heading each day. We do not plan on traveling more then an hr and 15 mins from bristol. Then working our way back towards camp each day. Yes everyone in my group has experience shooting over dogs. I wouldn't of asked them to go if I didn't trust them shooting over mine. But I must add we are all 26-27 years old. So I don't know if you'd want to hunt with a bunch of young guys or if age even bothers you.

Cabin

@GWP14, can you share contact info or a web site of the cabin you have rented...we are always looking for new places to stay. BTW, we have hunted Marshall CTY (britton) for many years now and private land owners are very welcoming to hunters and most areas do hold some birds, but you'll have to really work for them. The one plus of hunting this area is you'll pretty much be the only hunters running around.

Thanks,
Greg

Last edited:
@golson we are staying with Sportsman Cove out of Webster SD. Google it and you'll find his website. He caters to fishing but accepts all people. Doug that owns the place is great to deal with. He has 2 places in Webster then the cabin north of Bristol. All his places are very reasonable and have fish and game cleaning stations at them. That's the kinda news I wanna hear. To be honest that's why we chose this area. We didn't want to deal with the high number of hunters. I'd rather see my dog work then shoot my limit every day. Getting to shoot is just a bonus.

Last edited:
Thanksgiving Week

I do a similar hunt with one dog and 1 gun within 100 miles or so of where you are staying and always go the week of Thanksgiving. Temps are dropping, crops are down, etc. Lots of upside. Regardless of bird reports my lab gets work and we usually have great hunts. In fact the dog usually sleeps for a few days after we get back.

I hunt almost primarily public areas and always shoot (and miss) a lot of birds. Have fun and pay attention to the details. Take care of your dog, gun, and yourself.

I was talking with my wife and she got all sore with me that I was not including her for my Thanksgiving trip, so it appears I am going to pass on your offer and take her and the pooch. We will be in the same general area and it will be interesting to compare notes when we get back.

Back