Thanks to UPH

Thanks to the administrator and members of UPH. This site has been a great asset in preparation for our upcoming hunt in SD. We are headed that way from AR next week and looking forward to a great trip.

Couple more questions - is it possible to get into any sharptails? Would like to try it for one day, I realize from what I read on here it is not the best time of year but you have to go when you can.

We still don't have a destination, we are going to get a license and make that up as we go. Looking at the area north of 90 and just east of the Missouri. It looks like there is quite a lot of public in that area. Anyone got any thoughts on that plan - how about lodging options in that area? Will also try the Platte area due to some info from a fellow member on this site.

We will be the Arkansas guys in a white GMC that just look happy to be there, if you see us give us a wave.

Thanks again,

Chuck

Cross the Missouri River west of Platte. Take left at top of hill and go hunt the Buranek Area for sharptail, chickens and pheasant. They will be spooky this late, but you have a chance at all three birds. You can also access at west end of bridge, north side. If the weather is nasty, do not overlook the cedar tree plantings. I saw a lot of birds last spring turkey hunting in the area. Look at the atlas for details. Good luck.
________
Find headshop

Last edited:
We still don't have a destination, we are going to get a license and make that up as we go. Looking at the area north of 90 and just east of the Missouri. It looks like there is quite a lot of public in that area. Anyone got any thoughts on that plan - how about lodging options in that area? Will also try the Platte area due to some info from a fellow member on this site.

Thanks again,

Chuck

Use the interactive map on the SDGFP site. Zoom on the blue WPA's with the layers check to get the name of the area. Then choose the area with the drop down box and check the wildlife inventory. Some of that area just North of 90 and east of the river has a lot of relief and is primarily big game. I've run into more grouse on the west side of the river from Rt. 18 to 44. The river crossing at spot Uncle Buck suggested is one of the most beautiful areas of the country I've ever see. If you go just a few miles west of Chamberlain you will run into plenty of WIA's, and I've had some luck hunting those.

Cross the Missouri River west of Platte. Take left at top of hill and go hunt the Buranek Area for sharptail, chickens and pheasant. They will be spooky this late, but you have a chance at all three birds. You can also access at west end of bridge, north side. If the weather is nasty, do not overlook the cedar tree plantings. I saw a lot of birds last spring turkey hunting in the area. Look at the atlas for details. Good luck.

You know the DeBoer's when you cross the river Buck? I shot my first deer there when you cross the river and you see a deer stand to the south. I also almost flipped my ford chasing after some deer.

Thanks to the administrator and members of UPH. This site has been a great asset in preparation for our upcoming hunt in SD. We are headed that way from AR next week and looking forward to a great trip. Chuck

Thanks for joining Chuck. Have fun in SD next week. I'll be in Redfield doing a little myself. I'll probably be doing less hunting and more drinking beer sitting on my laptop like usual.
:cheers:

Back