Takin your youth's out

Just curious to see how many are taking youth's out on the 7th and 8th? Wish I could but it's a little two soon for my 3 year old. For those who do, Good luck, be safe and have some fun!!!:thumbsup:

Im plannin on takin my little brother and one of his friends out on the 8th weather permitting

My brother and I will be taking my 14 year old son out. it's a great opportunity for him and the 3 dogs to get a weeks headstart on the Kansas bird season.

GOOD FOR YOU GUYS!!!:10sign:

I don't know any young hunters this year, but I have helped them in the past and it is a great feeling.

While not a youngster, I have converted a couch potato into a new hunter this year!!! At age 30, he was the oldest "kid" in his hunter's safety class. It took several years of talking to finally get him to bite the bullet and enroll in hunter's safety. We are duck hunting on Sunday.:D:D:D

No doubt, kids are the future of our sport, but don't forget about the people who vote and pay taxes right now.

GREAT THREAD, KansasUplandHunter!

Wish I was back in Mich. to take my G-Son out! Took him out several times last year! Fun,Fun,Fun! I remember when I was in school, parents letting kids skip school for the opener. Don't think that happens anymore! Not the birds it used to be.:( Hope everyone has a fun & sucessful hunt and good luck!

My daughter's still a little to young (5 years) and my son is to young as well (3 years) but they do go scouting, fishing, golfing and pretty much everything else with me. I'm already working with them about gun safety and they do pitch in and help me clean my weapons. We do take my buddies daughter out for the youth season though. She is a trip to hunt with and she just absorbs anything and everything about the outdoors.

I remember when I was in school, parents letting kids skip school for the opener. Don't think that happens anymore!QUOTE]

It still happens in our house! My kids will be chasing pheasants on the Friday before the opener, helping the old man pick a spot to start Saturday morning. The boys miss school anytime dad is heading out for an outdoor adventure.......I hope they continue the tradition with my grandchildren!

Great call Kansasbrittany. We also have a 1 yr old G-Son and I will be taking him, God willing, with me everytime I go. We will cheat and skip school and not tell Mom.lol Hope you have a great season!

Rod

I remember when I was in school, parents letting kids skip school for the opener. Don't think that happens anymore!QUOTE]

It still happens in our house! My kids will be chasing pheasants on the Friday before the opener, helping the old man pick a spot to start Saturday morning. The boys miss school anytime dad is heading out for an outdoor adventure.......I hope they continue the tradition with my grandchildren!

There are things that one just doesn't learn in school. Good for you. My sons had valuable lessons in bird habitat when they were young helping me develop habitat, that has lead them to a real passion for the outdoors. They are passing it on to their sons and a highlight for grandpa is all the guys being in deer camp with me.

stick6Dec08004.jpg

I will be out with my five year old for the youth opener in a few years. He will definitely be with me on the regular Kansas opener on the 14th.

Last edited:
i will be there with the kids my parents have adopted since us older kids have left the house. They just got some new boots and have been wearing them to school to show their friends. Should be a fun weekend.

I'll be working with kids in the Big Brothers Big Sisters program in Wichita and getting a bunch of them out on the 7th. We'll probably be heading for some WIHA land in Reno/Kingman/Pratt counties.

For those of you who don't have a young one to take out, give me a call! Working with the Pass It On - Outdoor Mentors program, we don't have a problem finding kids...we have a problem finding mentors who will spend time giving a kid a chance to experience the great outdoors we all know and love.

Check out our website at http://www.outdoormentors.org. Give me a call and we'll hook you up with a kid to take hunting/fishing!

Mike Christensen
Pass It On - Outdoor Mentors, Inc.

Back