Sweet 16 Japan or Belgium made

Mgorv

I've been looking at Sweet 16s on different sites. Can you shoot steel out of a newer one made in Japan? If they ever outlawed lead, would a Belgium made A5 be difficult to find shells for. Would you be forced to buy non-tox alloy shells at $30 a box if the law changed. If I find one, I want to make sure I can afford to shoot it. I always really liked the humpback, and would be willing to trade my M2 if I found the right one. I've got the Citori version, and it would be neat to have both. I almost traded in my M2 for a BPS 16 gauge, but I really like shooting an auto.

I'm not to sure trading in your modern M2 for a sweet sixteen is such a good idea. No matter what your M2 will be cheaper to shoot and better performing with a wider selection of ammo that's easier to get.

You can shoot steel through a Sweet Sixteen(made in Japan) that has interchangeably choke tubes. Yes you would be limited to high dollar non toxic if a all outright ban on lead shot ever comes down the pipe in a Belgium gun.

The problem with steel shot for a 16ga is, most of the loads are not of the quality of the 12 and 20ga. They are slow and in many cases lack the performance of their cousins the 12 and 20. Just because not too many manufactures are going to do a lot of R&D and tooling to make hot performing modern loads for a product they sell far less of of. Try finding any 16ga steel that is 1500 fps or higher. I'm not sure if anybody makes such a animal. I haven't seen any.

This is coming from somebody that has 5 16ga's. I love the guns but wouldn't ever limit myself to just 16ga's.

Onpoint

Last edited:
Mgorv, you are starting to sound a lot like myself. I first bought a 16 ga. White Lightning Citori. I then purchased a 1960 Belgium Sweet Sixteen. Fell in love with the Sweet and this past fall sold my Benelli Montefeltro because it was just sitting in the gun case. I do however have a 12 ga. auto still in the gun case in the form of a Stoeger 2000.

Does any of the above sound like you????? :)

16 gauge

Ya, I think the 16 gauge thing can become a little bit of a sickness. Once I started reading about them and looking for the Citori, my obsession continued and of course I got interested in the Sweet 16. I better keep the Benelli though. I shoot it pretty average, and I turkey hunt, so it's nice to have a little more firepower on those birds. I also shoot clays pretty often on the farm, and it's still a pretty cheap date with a 12. I hunted with a friends a5 20 ga. in high school, and I just can't get the humpback out of my mind. I'll start putting some money in the mattress so when I find one, I can jump on it. I'm glad I bought my Citori, though. I haven't shot it yet, but it will be a fun fair weather gun for me.

I would look for a Belgium made Sweet 16 if I were you. I have a Japanese made Sweet 16 and it is a great gun but is a good bit heavier than the Belgium made ones. Mine has a 26 inch invector barrel and weighs about 7lbs 4 ounces. I bought a box of steel shot 16 gauge shells about 10 years ago and have never fired a shot through it. I use a Stoeger 2000 if I have to shoot steel. I have a Belgium made 20 and a 12 and am looking for a Mag 20 now. If the right deal comes along I would probably get a Belgium sweet 16 also.

the general consensus is that steel is okay as long as its not a full choke gun.another alternative would be to shoot one of the fancy(expensive) no -tox shots like itx,for instance.
" better" 16 ga.,steel loads would require hand loading.
another idea is to take an old full choke gun and have a choke put in it,like briley could do.
there arent many 16 ga choke tubes. browning makes there bps in 16 ga. with chokes so at least we know they exist (the tubes).
some questions dont need answers until we have to ask them
maybe dont worry about "what might happen"

Back