SW Minnesota trail cam pics 1-18-2014Page two more pics

I've seen pheasants hit fences and the feathers would fly.

This roosters injury is not as bad as it appears, little bit of skin and ruffled feathers.Ain't no crop damage here or he'd be dead. :)

Good pics again, thanks

That fox squirrel probably attacked, he's got that look in his eyes.

Seriously though I wouldn't be surprised if that was an injury caused by a shotgun. I've had the dogs run birds down that were just grazed and that's what the wound looked like.

Yeah could be. Though I'm thinking if he got shot hard enough to make a hole that size--penetrating through his skin and crop--he'd be in far worse shape than he's in now.

I've seen pheasants hit fences and the feathers would fly.

This roosters injury is not as bad as it appears, little bit of skin and ruffled feathers.Ain't no crop damage here or he'd be dead. :)

Good pics again, thanks
He has corn leaking from his crop or at least it looks that way.

If you look at some of the earlier photos you can see the damage Wisturk is talking about. The tear is pretty bad.:(

Yeah could be. Though I'm thinking if he got shot hard enough to make a hole that size--penetrating through his skin and crop--he'd be in far worse shape than he's in now.

I agree it just reminds me of one bird in particular I shot in the past to close with to tight of a choke. That bird flushed again and ran all over the place. Took over an hour for 2 dogs to run it down. They can be pretty tough.

I'd bet raptor that hit low on this bird in the pic though.

I agree it just reminds me of one bird in particular I shot in the past to close with to tight of a choke. That bird flushed again and ran all over the place. Took over an hour for 2 dogs to run it down. They can be pretty tough.

I'd bet raptor that hit low on this bird in the pic though.

No doubt. I've seen far worse I suppose and they manage to run off like nothing happened.

I'm just amazed that guy is still alive. Considering most of what he eats spills out on top of infection:confused:.

If the birds crop is damaged he would have to feed more as the crop is designed for storage of excess food which allows the bird to gorge and feed less often. Tough to do in Winter survival mode and if he wasn't where he is now finding easy food he would most likely be dead. Maybe not from starvation, but having to feed more often put him in harms way more often. I think it could of been a fence or ground predator as most of the avian predators are South now. Skunks, Coons, Foxes are more abundant. Especially when rabbits, squirrels, birds are near the food source. Whatever it was, it shows the determination of a critter to survive. Take my hat off to the old warrior!!:cheers:

Checked the cams today and did not get any pics of the injured bird in the last 6 days I ran out of corn and had some soybeans put out they don't like the beans as well there was still some left but no corn.

He has corn leaking from his crop or at least it looks that way.

WOW! didn't see that.
All food has to go through the crop.
Leaking, that serious damage.

Checked the cams today and did not get any pics of the injured bird in the last 6 days I ran out of corn and had some soybeans put out they don't like the beans as well there was still some left but no corn.

That's surprises me:confused: It's not like they don't like soy beans. I've often found soy beans in the crops of birds I've shot.

Back