SW Kansas

cyrtonyx

New to this forum.
Thinking of SW Kansas for Pheasants/quail next Dec. Specifically the Grasslands near Elkhart. Just me & my two setters. Not looking for limits, just a chance at Pheasants & Quail. Don't Mind long walks. Any suggestions?

That's as good an idea as any. Historically there have been scaled quail down there too, but those populations fluctuate. Lots of WIHA down there as well and lots of opportunities for long walks. If your dogs are good and you know what habitat to look for I think you'll find some birds.

It will be interesting to see the full effect on bobwhites in their range with this storm raging in the Kansas Oklahoma and Texas habitats?

That's as good an idea as any. Historically there have been scaled quail down there too, but those populations fluctuate. Lots of WIHA down there as well and lots of opportunities for long walks. If your dogs are good and you know what habitat to look for I think you'll find some birds.
Have never hunted Kansas before, and the Grasslands are only 5 hours or so from N. New Mexico. For a short (3 days hunting) trip I figure it might be an adventure for my dogs. We don't mind long treks, as we are used to SD for Prairie grouse.

Have never hunted Kansas before, and the Grasslands are only 5 hours or so from N. New Mexico. For a short (3 days hunting) trip I figure it might be an adventure for my dogs. We don't mind long treks, as we are used to SD for Prairie grouse.
I agree the big question will be the survival of the quail population over the harsh conditions the past 12 days. However on a brighter note I did see the covey I’ve been feeding on the home place last evening. I hadn’t seen them for a number of days I think they moved into thicker cover. If you do hunt the grasslands my suggestion would be to concentrate on the draws and plum thicket up off the river. Also try the fringes along feed fields. And I would suggest hunting farther east into Stevens Co for pheasants

It is fairly sure that this cold snap will have taken it's toll on the birds. This season's population was already down from 2-3 years ago. We are in a drought pattern right now. If that persists into the nesting and brood-rearing seasons, the prospects for this fall will be grim. I'd say try to keep a bit of flexibility in your plans and watch the weather through July/August to make your final decision on where to head.

Back