SW Kansas?

Fargo

I have not seen any reports from SW Kansas this year. I hunted the Hugoton area last year with very good success. Was thinking about a return trip this year. Anybody been out in the area so far this season? I heard that the area's birds may have been impacted by the late April snow.

Last edited:
I don’t think there are as many birds as last year. Most farmers I’ve spoken with say they didn’t see huge numbers during harvest. I was optimistic before season as I was seeing birds during my preseason scouting. But we failed to find those birds during the opener. My party. had a decent shoot but nothing like last year. In response to your question bird numbers are down again.but you will probably find a few birds.

I don’t think there are as many birds as last year. Most farmers I’ve spoken with say they didn’t see huge numbers during harvest. I was optimistic before season as I was seeing birds during my preseason scouting. But we failed to find those birds during the opener. My party. had a decent shoot but nothing like last year. In response to your question bird numbers are down again.but you will probably find a few birds.

Thanks for the info Dogman!

We did quite a bit of bird hunting during our deer hunting trip 2 weeks ago. Got into a lot of quail and saw a decent number of pheasants. Saw so many quail that we started to just target places that had woody cover. Pheasant hunting was tough where we were because there was just so much cover, and 4-5 guys had a hard time walking all of it. Had several roosters get up in front of me while deer hunting, each time I had to stop myself from pulling the trigger. Would instinctually flick the safety off on my rifle and shoulder the gun, and then ask myself what the hell I was doing. We were near Ulysses.

We did quite a bit of bird hunting during our deer hunting trip 2 weeks ago. Got into a lot of quail and saw a decent number of pheasants. Saw so many quail that we started to just target places that had woody cover. Pheasant hunting was tough where we were because there was just so much cover, and 4-5 guys had a hard time walking all of it. Had several roosters get up in front of me while deer hunting, each time I had to stop myself from pulling the trigger. Would instinctually flick the safety off on my rifle and shoulder the gun, and then ask myself what the hell I was doing. We were near Ulysses.

That is an encouraging report! Were you hunting public or private?

Very few birds in the Hugoton area, just got back. The April storm did the birds a number. Stay east and you will do better. Good luck.

Very few birds in the Hugoton area, just got back. The April storm did the birds a number. Stay east and you will do better. Good luck.

Thank you for that info. Going to start out in the Pratt area and see how we do there. If we get into birds, we will stay put.

Now that the weather is finally turning, we'll be heading back to SW KS at the end of this week. It treated us well on the opener, just haven't returned because of the warm, dry conditions.

I took your advice. Not seeing many Pheasant, but after trying a few different areas in south central, I am getting into a lot of quail. Thank you!

Fargo glad you are finding some quail out there. I am heading back to Kansas overnight and should be in the field by around noon. I have VERY low expectations but will enjoy being out with two of my boys and one grandson too. Should be a nice time for us.

Thinking about heading to the SW area myself. Heard decent reports from the guy I bought my setter pup off of. I was supposed to go hunt mearns but the reports from southern AZ are real bad.

Fargo glad you are finding some quail out there. I am heading back to Kansas overnight and should be in the field by around noon. I have VERY low expectations but will enjoy being out with two of my boys and one grandson too. Should be a nice time for us.

Enjoy! Please let us know how you make out.

Back