SW Hunting Report

Well the reason I haven't been out the past two years is my hunting partner, my Dad died. I am very well aware of the drought issues that have plagued the state, which has been so severe, even the Bob's are hurting. I have also done the work every year pal. As I am still doing the work now. I again point to my earlier post of more of the same. People just acting like dicks and not offering to help. It's all good though, even though the trolls like you have tried to cry and flop on the ground, some good people sent me good information. Thanks to all who helped. This will be a good year to come back and do the things Dad and I loved to do. Remember to always do a good thing for others, never defer or neglect it, for you shall not pass this way again.

Wish I could offer some Michigan Pheasant advice, but the only ones I can seem to find up here are of the pen raised variety.

"I would hate to spend 18 hrs in the car for a terrible hunt". -Wojac

sounds like you don't want to hunt, you want to just kill.

Hunting is so much more than just getting into birds. More times than not last year we came home empty handed but I just love being outdoors and watching my dogs work. I drove a lot more than 18 hours to get to hunting spots to end up empty handed but I never once had a terrible hunt as you would like to call it.

Wojac,

You could at least do us the justice of keeping your story straight. Your posts are replete with contradictions.

"Even the bobs are hurting" -- Sorry bud, but that tells me that, as it relates to SW Kansas you have not been doing any homework at all. And if you actually did your homework, you would not have to asked the question you did.

Also, the only "troll" here is you, but apparently you have trouble with definitions as well. And your pathetic attempt to label me as such is misplaced and stinks of desperation. BTW, where the hell is I-25 in Kansas?

:eek:
I live about a mile from I-25 and can 100% assure everyone that there is no good bird hunting "just west of I-25." Though there's plenty of reason to bring a firearm if you're going just west of I-25 from where I live. ;)

Brother, I am right there with you ;) I live just east of I-25 and I will come up and help you out with that "west of I-25 crowd":D

It is funny how some folks do come on this site at any of the regions (KS, CO, SD, etc) and troll for hunting spots.

We have this discussion over on the Colorado forum this time every year in regards to roosters, grouse, dove etc. :rolleyes:

It would be nice to be able to verify people to really see if they are sincere.....I know when my now 14yr old son and I went up to SD for the first time last year instead of hunting SW KS like I had done since 1996. We were fortunate enough to be able to hunt some private area, not much, but some. We did the 9hr drive, paid the $$$ and we got one bird :eek: Which was the only one we saw that we could shoot. Sure we saw plenty on other land, however when I asked for permission in person knocking on doors, they wanted $$ and it was just my son and I and two dogs.

So you have to do your homework and establish yourself and build a little creedo before you go on a site like this and ask for places to hunt or this and that.

Greg

I appreciate the help, but I mostly solve that problem by staying east of I-25. :thumbsup:

I agree on the preseason panhandlers. The funny thing is that the state wildlife departments publish more information on where the birds are and aren't than you could ever find by begging on a forum. Anyone who bothers to look can find this info online. I think questions on strategy, best type of habitat, best kind of weather, dog training, etc. are all fair game, but asking for GPS coordinates and farmers' phone numbers who allow free access is not.

I hear you...I agree with you 100% whether it is on the KS forum, CO, SD, etc....going on and asking, "so how are things looking in this county", well go on-line or call the KDWP and ask them.

I know that Byrd and some other tried to organize a get together at the Bad Habit in Dodge a few years back to put names with faces.

Would be nice to do that sometimes....

Greg

I live about a mile from I-25 and can 100% assure everyone that there is no good bird hunting "just west of I-25." Though there's plenty of reason to bring a firearm if you're going just west of I-25 from where I live. ;)

Right on both. :D

I hear you...I agree with you 100% whether it is on the KS forum, CO, SD, etc....going on and asking, "so how are things looking in this county", well go on-line or call the KDWP and ask them.

I know that Byrd and some other tried to organize a get together at the Bad Habit in Dodge a few years back to put names with faces.

Would be nice to do that sometimes....

Greg

Ah, putting names on faces. I lost a cartoon I cut out a few years ago. It was dogs at an obedience school reunion and it had all the name tags pinned on the dog's butts.

I have met up with a few of the gang and haven't met a bad one yet and I don't think that was just the luck of the draw. Really a great group here.

I believe that was KB that was trying to get it together. All I was wanted for was laughs.;)

Turtle you have the intelligence of a scab. Go away troll, the adults have more important things to do then babysit you. Thanks for the general guidance on the PM's. It is good to know there are genuine people out there still. I will be focusing on NC Kansas.

wojac and whatever you do don't say a thing about kstate football the the same 3 or 4 guys on here will think of you as an outcast if you don't like such a below average team year after year ;) your welcome to pm me anytime I hunt in the nc to nw all the time I don't kill limits all the time but theres certain things to look for and I have tons of private to hunt and you can hunt with me any time :cheers:

:eek:

................ We were fortunate enough to be able to hunt some private area, not much, but some. We did the 9hr drive, paid the $$$ and we got one bird :eek: Which was the only one we saw that we could shoot. Sure we saw plenty on other land, however when I asked for permission in person knocking on doors, they wanted $$ and it was just my son and I and two dogs.

So you have to do your homework and establish yourself and build a little creedo before you go on a site like this and ask for places to hunt or this and that.

Greg

I dont know if you'll see this post, but out of curiosity since I have never hunted SD, was this charging for money thing for birds normal?

In KS Ive noticed the few that Ive seen will charge will have a sign indicating so, but most leased lands here (KS) IMO are leased for deer.

What types of fees were they charging? That would probably turn me off from ever going back.

I dont know if you'll see this post, but out of curiosity since I have never hunted SD, was this charging for money thing for birds normal?

In KS Ive noticed the few that Ive seen will charge will have a sign indicating so, but most leased lands here (KS) IMO are leased for deer.

What types of fees were they charging? That would probably turn me off from ever going back.

I don't remember exactly how much the fees where, however when I went up to the door and asked they said either, "already have guys on it or $$".....I mean how much ground could myself, my then 13yr old son and two dogs cover :confused::eek:

Next year my best friend and I are heading to SD on one of those all expense paid pheasant hunt deals.....

Until then, this year we will be coming out to hunt KS near Dodge City and take our chances....I enjoy getting my dogs out, eating at the Bad Habit in Dodge, getting away from work and my chores :D and spending time with my son without girls, Xbox, etc :cool:

Greg

I'm an out of stater who's been hunting in the Midwest since 93. I don't think the people on this forum are being dicks or intend to be rude when they tell out of staters to scout. It's no different from a grouse hunter being protective of they're honey hole. Most of the people that live in Ks hunt in very specific areas, usually a family members or friends farm and occasionally WHIA. It's a cultural difference between in state and out of state hunters. In state hunters, hunt the weekend most don't hunt across the state and most don't go out of state to hunt and so don't understand when we aren't able to scout an area the same way they are. We don't have the family or friend connections they have. Also we don't always have good manners when hunting. I remember one year in the northwest pulling into a field and seeing 37 rooster heads on the side of the road (blockers and drivers). We hunted in and around the area for a day and didn't point a single bird. We packed up and drove to the southwest and shot out limits the next 3 days. Go as often as you can, keep records of where you hunt, both the good and the bad. Eat in local restaurants, talk to everybody make friends and have fun. Hope you all have good hunting and hope to see one or two of you opening weekend. PS I'm not telling my honey holes either.:cheers:

:thumbsup:
I'm an out of stater who's been hunting in the Midwest since 93. I don't think the people on this forum are being dicks or intend to be rude when they tell out of staters to scout. It's no different from a grouse hunter being protective of they're honey hole. Most of the people that live in Ks hunt in very specific areas, usually a family members or friends farm and occasionally WHIA. It's a cultural difference between in state and out of state hunters. In state hunters, hunt the weekend most don't hunt across the state and most don't go out of state to hunt and so don't understand when we aren't able to scout an area the same way they are. We don't have the family or friend connections they have. Also we don't always have good manners when hunting. I remember one year in the northwest pulling into a field and seeing 37 rooster heads on the side of the road (blockers and drivers). We hunted in and around the area for a day and didn't point a single bird. We packed up and drove to the southwest and shot out limits the next 3 days. Go as often as you can, keep records of where you hunt, both the good and the bad. Eat in local restaurants, talk to everybody make friends and have fun. Hope you all have good hunting and hope to see one or two of you opening weekend. PS I'm not telling my honey holes either.:cheers:

Excellent post and point :thumbsup:

You pretty much summed it up and hit the nail on the head. The out of staters who have a beef with guys not giving out tips, advice, etc in regards to hunting need to try and have some empathy. Most of the local guys and other out of staters, have done their homework and have been hunting in areas for years. I didn't get all butt hurt over folks near Platte, SD where my now 14yr old and son where hunting last year. We had the good fortune of hunting on a guys land, not much, but better than nothing and due to the drought, things were not great. We went anyway, shot one bird :eek: (in SD none the less)....my son was like dad lets go knock on some doors. So we did and everyone wanted $$$ and after driving 9hrs, hotel, license and everything else, I didn't have the $$$ to shell out. So we left a day early. None the less, we had a good time, got to meet some good people and see a state and area that we had never been.

Hunting nowadays is networking, kind of like when you are looking for job. It isn't what you know, it is who you know;) Almost nepatism in a sense.

It takes a while to get into the so-called "circle" (taken from Meet the Parents)....

Greg

Back