SW Hunting Report

Wojac

I am from Michigan and make the annual trip to the far Southwest Corner. I only hunt WIHA, no private land. My buddy who lives in Guymon, OK told mme he didn't see anything while he was Dove Hunting last week. He figures the flash floods and hail took out most of the nests and babies. I am considering looking elsewhere. Two questions:

1.) Is his report correct?
2.) Where else in the state should I look?

I love hunting Kansas, because of the WIHA program. I hate the politics of knocking on doors and being shaken down by locals. I used to hunt Iowa and stopped going because of it. Any opinions or advice would be greatly appreciated.

You guy's are too funny. I will have to stay out of this one as I have kinda used up my demerits on other threads:D

Wojac, I scouted SWK a few weeks ago and it is going to be bad. The cover is a little better this year but there are very few birds this year. I would suggest going elsewhere in the state.

LMAO:laugh::laugh:

He should have looked down the tread titles a little better and he would have found this thread.

I read that one and found it most unhelpful. A bunch of jokes with no actual information. If Someone, Especially new comes here asking for help you should be less rude and more helpful. Otherwise this forum will turn into a good ole boys club with failing membership.

Thank you for the PM's, anyone else has a good suggestion of other areas in Kansas it would.be greatly appreciated. This will be my 5th time out and I hope it's a good one.

More of the same

I have not gone the past two years because of the drought. My friend told me they had "some" rain, but it all came at once and flooded the area. Anyone have any opinions on quail? Guess it's good to have a backup. I usually would just drive around and look for a tree in a field, and 9 times out of 10 a small covey of quail would appear.

Most guys are telling me to head to north and central Kansas for the pheasant this year.

I read that one and found it most unhelpful. A bunch of jokes with no actual information. If Someone, Especially new comes here asking for help you should be less rude and more helpful. Otherwise this forum will turn into a good ole boys club with failing membership.

Thank you for the PM's, anyone else has a good suggestion of other areas in Kansas it would.be greatly appreciated. This will be my 5th time out and I hope it's a good one.

Well Wojac if you read that thread prior you should have realized that fishing for info may not be the best way to go about finding birds on this forum. As far as help goes the state puts out a forecast every year or first make friend on the forum before busting out with the " where's the best hunting" question. :eek:

Like a lot of guys on here we scout, maintain habitat, and raise dogs all in the quest to hunt Roosters and it is kinda rude for you to just waltz in an ask those types of questions. I got nothing against out of staters, hell I used to be one myself. Just get off your computer and do some leg work/ windsheild time. If this is your 6th hunt in kansas then you should have an idea of where to hunt. If you don't I got 40 ac for rent on NE KS.:D

Good Luck on your hunt!

Kick'em Up!

So we should be more helpful? I'm sorry, but I didn't know you were entitled to information bc you were a one of the NEW guys. This forum is getting to the point of no fun for me because of comments like Wojac's.

Last edited:
Wojac,

I think Bleu put it best when he stated that too many times guy's come on here a few weeks before the season fishing for info, never to be heard from again. If you want much info from here, come on and offer up some experience/advice or even humor when things get pretty dry on here in feb. Coming on here in sept and making your first post about where to hunt in Kansas? That's pretty bold. Especially in a year like this that is going to be the toughest in a long time. Where is v-john when you need him:D. Or dead-eye Spence?

Ps: Bleu, I am still waiting for that intel you promised us that wait;)

I am not asking for exact spots, just general locations. Ex. "the central plains would probably be best here", etc. And it is not rude to ask that. It is rude to be a dick to a newbie. I am a very experienced hunter in the SW portion of Kansas, and have been training dogs for 20 years. My questions was very simple as to where would be a good spot to check into. If someone would like to know where to hunt grouse and/or woodcock in Michigan I would volunteer it gladly.

I appreciate some on the PM's from the GOOD members here, otherwise this forum seems to be packed with more of the same types I try and avoid in life. With the dwindling numbers of upland hunters nationwide, I would suggest those who fall into the before mentioned categories to take a look at themselves and think "Is this really how I want to treat a fellow upland bird hunter?"

The younger generation hunters like myself are few and far between. Open up and lighten up a bit folks. You might be surprised what you find.

So in the interest of fairness......

I found some excellent hunting 3 years ago just off the state line with some WIHA off of I-25. That whole area was surrounded by Milo/sorghum. There was a hill on the West side of I-25 with an old aircraft hanger that would always produce huge flushes. Especially if the weather was terrible, as there would be around a hundred or so using it as a wind break.

Due to the past couple of years conditions, I understand that this area may be terrible. I am just looking if anyone has an opinion on the area. I will probably have to look farther north and east as I would hate to spend 18 hrs in the car for a terrible hunt.

Stay home. I will pm you GPS coordinates when I find hot spots. I can not believe these fellows be so mean to you. Come on club let's all do the leg work so new members can go to our areas and not have to do any scouting.
I remember being new on here so I will pm all my hotspots and areasjust so nobody feels leftout I mostly hunt west of I 35. But sometimes east. Border to border. Knock on doors give away a lot of fish and jerky. Oh hell I just gave away a secret.

Turtle you have the intelligence of a scab. Go away troll, the adults have more important things to do then babysit you. Thanks for the general guidance on the PM's. It is good to know there are genuine people out there still. I will be focusing on NC Kansas.

And you're going to "focus on NC Kansas" just because someone told you it'd be better? Probably because someone told them it was better...and so on.

Take a real hard look at the area just north of I-70 and just west of I-35.
Lots of friendly people that I'm sure would be happy to help.

Wojac,

I am a dick for calling you out on your laziness? Don't get butt hurt. But rather, let's see, you are a newbie, but have been training dogs for 20 years and have hunted SW Kansas for the last 5 years -- oh wait, not the last 2 because of the drought. Doesn't sound like a newbie to me. But you have not done any homework whatsoever to understand that the drought (main cause of decline of pheasant and quail populations over the last 3-5 years in Kansas) has continued/not gotten any better/gotten worse in the last year, but I am the "dick" for calling you out. That's the reality. The SW portion of the state has been ravaged by drought and even the most rudimentary research would show that. Sorry man, but this post is nothing more than panhandling -- but too oblige -- SW Kansas is going to suck -- hell, all of Kansas is going to suck and if I were you, there are a lot of other places 18 hours from Michigan that will provide exponentially better hunting, but that might take some work to figure out.

Oh, but you are from out of state, you are going to spend a week here and you are driving 18 hours so we should help you out -- no down payment on a Big Mac here, buddy. I hunt Montana every year...but I do my homework. I research everything that might potentially have an impact on bird numbers. The guys I make the trip out there with do the same -- we put effort into our trips to make sure that they are a success, I will not apologize for expecting the same out of others on the web -- if that makes me a dick, guess I'll try some adult movies.

Also, if you didn't catch the joke after the first post in that thread I linked, I don't know if I'd be the one insulting Turtle's intelligence.

Sorry man, but you can't call someone a "dick" because they will not do the hard work for you and then turn it over to you on post number 1. I bet I've put 100 hours into preparing for this bird hunting season since February 1, what've you done -- make one 2 minute post and a quick call to a guy in SW KS? Give me a break.

Back