Surrogator

Roosters

Hunted yesterday for the first time on land that I had a surrogator on.
I had released 200 birds in late July, birds had helix on right foot cut off when 1 day old.
Bagged 8 roosters, 6 were surrogator birds.
We have been working to continually improve our surrogator program, I think we have finally come up a program that has made it a success.

How many acres are you dealing with? What does the surrounding properties look like? Does anyone else release birds in the area? Any pictures of your habitat? Thanks!

I had released 200 birds in late July, birds had helix on right foot cut off when 1 day old.
We have been working to continually improve our surrogator program, I think we have finally come up a program that has made it a success.

I have read all the pro's and con's of the surrogator. While I have not personally used the surrogator, I have raised, used a call back pen with young quail, and had success, from a hunting stand point, I focused on heavier survival habitat, using the call back for rearing and an incubator for hatching, not reliant on nature for hatching and rearing. I would like to hear if you believe the surrogator provides any real advantage beyond artificial hatching, acclimation and release? As I say I have read all the naysaying experts and their theories, but am interested in your actual experience, and methods. We are talking hunting success here, not restocking per say. I realize that while a certain number of birds may survive for a period of years, if the activity of restocking with the surrogator is not continued annually, eventually there will be no birds, as there was before. If all the essential elements for natural reproduction existed, including favorable weather, the birds would be there on their own. Thanks for sharing we look forward to hearing more. This may be the future, sadly, it's what the sport has come to in Great Britain now!

Roosters, I'm glad to hear you've had some success with the surrogator.

Did you happen to compare the contents of their crops? Wild vs. Surrogator birds. If so, were they filled with the same types of grain, insects, etc.? Please let me know when you get a chance. Thank you.

I'll try to answer all the questions in one reply.

The habitat is 240 acres of CRP that was renewed last spring. Burned, sprayed roundup to kill brome and then re-seeded with a very diverse seed mix. currently stand is heavy on switch grass with clover. Surrounding habitat is either corn fields or pasture. No one else releases birds and no i dont have a picture of the habitat.
I believe the surrogator is a good way to supplement the wild bird population and with great habitat ...I hope to be able to discontinue using the surrogator.
Also, We are using a homemade surrogator that holds 200+ birds and has a small pen so that can acclimate themselves to the "wild" by picking at the weeds and bugs in the pen.
No I did not compare contents of their crops.
I will do that next time a kill one of each. I would be shocked if they were not the same. But that is a good question.
I will keep you updated as I do more research.

I've released pen raised pheasants by opening the door then observing from a distance. They walk out slowly when not startled and immediately are pecking at things, go right after the greens grass/clovers etc. Insects are a natural, most pen birds have already had a variety insects while caged such as ants, moths and flies.I would be surprised to if the crops of the wild and pen raised aren't similar.

Roosters, good to hear about your success. The released hens that survive until Spring will lay eggs and nest, some with success.
Keep us posted.

Did more research/hunting this weekend.

Shot 3 roosters. 2 were surrogator birds.

Total for 2011 so far---- 12 roosters / 8 were surrogator birds.

For those asking.... Surrogator birds had the same seeds in their crop as the wild birds..... and are just as fat.

Roosters,
Great to hear the results. I'm thinking of doing the same thing with a homemade surrogator and small release pen. Can you give us as much detail on the pen, where it was placed, what type of cover it was in, etc.

thx

I hunted 2 fields on my farm today that we did habitat work on and released 2 rounds of quail from the surrogator. Birds everywhere. 3 coves 30-50 birds each. Quail flying like wild birds.Dogs sure had a good time.:thumbsup: Area farms are reporting a few quial as well.May expand the operation next year if we still have birds in January.;)

Do you wish to choose mulberry affordable handbags

Their complete anniversary would leave one in awe and accomplish buyer mulberry acclimation for more. You cannot be mistaken because alone at mulberry handbags can you accession a able accumulated of able artisan handbags Mulberry Factory Shop irreprehensible service. Top aloft and best artisan handbags at prices you will afterglow over. Mulberry Purses is necessary to identify that mulbery daria hobo the idea that this particular limMulberry ed edMulberry ion, red-colored Roxanne ladies bags can be bought for a fantastic reason, and simply mtsesyha at a certain time intended for the holiday season and you have virtually arrived at bag heaven. This mulberry handbags is its cross with the body is. And love of an inter-agency with the top, it is important too cumbersome to carry my bag, not heavy. This is why I love Lily Mulberry bags. It is a compact, cross-body belt. This is super cute. Up to five-year review and mulberry outlet store daily has given me a critical eye.

Mulberry alexa bag

Do you wish to choose mulberry affordable handbags

Their complete anniversary would leave one in awe and accomplish buyer mulberry acclimation for more. You cannot be mistaken because alone at mulberry handbags can you accession a able accumulated of able artisan handbags Mulberry Factory Shop irreprehensible service. Top aloft and best artisan handbags at prices you will afterglow over. Mulberry Purses is necessary to identify that mulbery daria hobo the idea that this particular limMulberry ed edMulberry ion, red-colored Roxanne ladies bags can be bought for a fantastic reason, and simply mtsesyha at a certain time intended for the holiday season and you have virtually arrived at bag heaven. This mulberry handbags is its cross with the body is. And love of an inter-agency with the top, it is important too cumbersome to carry my bag, not heavy. This is why I love Lily Mulberry bags. It is a compact, cross-body belt. This is super cute. Up to five-year review and mulberry outlet store daily has given me a critical eye.

Mulberry alexa bag

banned already??? you gotta wonder if these guys even read what the forum is about before spamming the place.

I know it would be some work, but I would love to see some pictures of your surrogator set up, and a description of your method. I am looking to do some on some land my family owns next year.

Back