Surrogator for sage grouse?

Here's the problem UGUIDE. No state is willing to give up the money allotted to them through oil drilling. It is just not going to happen. Especially for some bird. Hunters need to think outside the box to develop a stragety. We all know that less habitat means less birds. You're preaching to the choir about that one. And let me tell you there is no bird more affected by less habitat than sage grouse; Just as O&N described. I doubt the surrogator would work as well but I am curious to hear if anyone has ever had experience with Sage grouse chicks and their adapability.

Wingshot, Search the North American Grouse Partnership, a wealth of links and research done on prairie grouse. As much as I share your pain and frustration, my reading indicates that there is virtually no adaptation displayed by prairie grouse in general, and most particularly sage grouse. Possible exception is the sharptails which seem to persist in a variety of habitats, but they always did. I would encourage everyone who cares, to join the North American Grouse Partnership, they don't send out cute hats and bumper stickers, but they spend money on the cause of prairie grouse preservation, and make those needs known to the public and the politicians who hold the fate of these great birds in their hands. We lose the habitat battle on this one we lose the birds. I'm afraid we are going the bobwhite quail route, we start the fight after the horse left the barn. Then we are going to be forced to create habitat where none exists at great effort and expense, to provide for a zoo like isolated remnant populations of a once common bird. The Bison comes to mind as does the Condor. Such may well be the fate of the Sage Grouse, and it happens fast. It took 40 years to decimate the Missouri quail population, a bird not nearly as rigid in habit as a sage grouse.

Back