Surprising point

What is the time frame in which you can wild bird train? Would have been nice to have a bobcat tag in that moment! I had never thought about before but next season I may have to buy one just in case of an encounter.

I've never seen any regs on dog training on wild birds. I usually just stop a little after I see birds pair off.

What is the time frame in which you can wild bird train? Would have been nice to have a bobcat tag in that moment! I had never thought about before but next season I may have to buy one just in case of an encounter.

Hey Jason, Welcome...

I'm close to positive that the time frame would vary from state to state. Wisconsin has specific dates for training on wild birds; other states may have no regulations (although I find that highly unlikely. :) )

Check with your local DNR office. I've found them to be helpful and courteous.

Thanks Kismet. I found our reg here in CA.

§677. Dog Training and Field Trials
(a) Dog Training When No Wild Birds Are Captured,
Injured, or Killed. Notwithstanding Section 265 of these regulations, a person may train dogs to retrieve, or to point or flush game birds, or may train for or participate in field trails or similar events related to these activities, at any time of year from sunrise to sunset if no wild birds are captured, injured, or killed. Domestically reared birds may be released and taken for dog training or field trials only as provided in Section 677(b). Dogs shall not be trained on or otherwise be allowed to pursue any birds that have special protection un- der California or federal law, including but not limited to fully protected birds (Section 3511 of the Fish and Game Code)

Robert: Had a similar experience in SD last winter.

Max is locked up inside a row of bushes and refuses to break. I'm assuming the pending result of a long point is a porky or skunk and start to get nervous, but am too far away; nephew is closer and reaches for the dog's collar.

Suddenly - out scampers a barn cat with the dog in hot pursuit. We are a good mile from any barn.

He gives chase, in spite of a good shock and eventually returns with blood on his snout. Can't imagine what happened to the cat...

Strong prey drive...sometimes not good!

That's AMAZING. I would have sworn that some nesting limitation would have been in effect.

:)

That's what I meant by never seeing any regulations so we self regulate. It differs but I'd guess about one more month on valley quail and then another month on mountain quail after that without disturbing any breeding quail.

Definitely better than a skunk! That cat was near as big as Lady, luckily she was on the other side of the thicket it flushed from, glad JP was not out with us that day.:cheers:

Back